Thursday 20 May 2010

Lemonade days...

Coke (it’s the real thing), Corona (the lemonade not the beer), R. Whites (I’m a secret lemonade drinker), Pepsi (come alive), Kia-Ora (your projectionist tonight is Eric), Lemon-o-Lime (in that funny bright green bottle), Fanta (which was invented by the Nazis), Irn bru (Bru'd in Scotland from girders), Vimto (purple and fizzy), Cresta (It’s frothy man – frothy but disgusting) and my favourite…Tizer. Oh yes, Tizer the Appetizer! So red, so bubbly, so acidic and sweet, and so full of sugar it made you leap around the lounge like a chicken – how I loved it.

I remember when fizzy drinks were a real treat. Most times all we got to drink at home was tap water or tea (coffee had not yet been invented in our house). Squash, either Robinson’s or of any of the other cheaper varieties, was far too expensive to drink on any day that wasn’t so hot that the tarmac on the road melted and stuck to the bottoms of my sandals – and ice! Well, let’s just say that ice was viewed as a luxury item.

Lemonade days were special days indeed, but Tizer was extra-special. Even the bottle screamed X-S with its black rubber flip-top, red rubber seal, and the label - oh the label, an orange and an apple in perfect harmony. I remember the excitement of the curled wire lock pressed tight against my thumb and the POP of the white capped flip-top as it flew open – Tizzzerrrsss! - and always best ice cold from my auntie Kate’s old Belle-Air Fridge… glug, glug, glug, ahhhh!

These days, fizzy drinks are an everyday affair. Cans and plastic bottles have replaced the returnable glass of my childhood, and caffeine energy drinks have ousted the Tizer and Vimto that I swigged in the warm Thame park sunshine of my boyhood. Back then, when Manchester’s Fred Pickup launched Tizer in 1924, 'Pickup's Appetizer' was all the rage, and after Fred’s death the recipe passed to the Armour Trust before being sold in 1972 to A.G. Barr (the makers of Irn-Bru) for £2.5 million. I remember the Armour Trust recipe – it was redder, fizzier, sharper and better than Barr’s imitation ever was - despite the £2.5 million price tag that Barr paid for it.

These days fizzy drinks just don’t seem to have the same fizz, they’ve become dull and flat – it’s not the real thing, it isn’t an appetizer; you can’t say it’s made from girders any longer and its not even frothy man. I’d almost stopped being a secret lemonade drinker - but just recently I discovered a fizzy drink that takes me back to childhood, one that seems to taste as good as those fizzy drinks back in those times when a fizzy drink was a rare treat.

In 2008 Pepsi UK launched a fizzy drink which they call a ‘Sparkling Cola Drink with Natural Plant Extracts’ and it really hits the spot. They’ve dropped the corn fructose and returned to lots of sugar as a main ingredient, along with apple extract, caramel, coffee leaf, grape tartaric acid, real gum arabic from real acacia trees, cane sugar and sparkling spring water. It’s great. Pepsi RAW is just like drinks used to be; full of sugar and sweet. So full of sugar it almost gets me leaping around the lounge like a chicken.

If only I had my auntie Kate’s Belle-Air Fridge.

16 comments:

  1. Do chickens leap?
    Dandelion and Burdock. No competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about fizzy drinks being a treat, as a kid I was only allowed one drink if we went out for a family mea, I would guzzle down the Cola in two seconds flat and then die of thirst trying to eat big salty gammon streak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philip Heslehurst commented on Facebook:

    I was partial to a drop of tizer or maybe a bit of lilt with the totally tropical taste !

    Whilst not fizzy my favorite was early 80s kia ora they didn't get that colour naturally you know :-)"

    When I was a kid Lowcocks used to deliver lemonade to your house on vans. You used to get 10p if you give em the bottle back :-) Look at that I was green over 30 years ago and I didn't even know it.

    Some lowcocks flavours :-
    Lemonade - exceptionally sweet
    Dandilion and burdock - Black stuff
    American cream soda - Green

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Eddison commented on Facebook:

    "BARR 10p back on a bottle... pure joy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean Wood commented on Facebook:

    "American cream soda was my favourite"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flora Marriott commented on Facebook:

    "Champagne :-)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neil Fishwick commented on Facebook:

    "Pint of Banks's bitter!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Idris Ginger Beer - aint it hot hot hot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orangena, pure nectar. Can you still get it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hated Cream Soda with a passion, it had no fizz and tasted like warm school milk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Currently 30p deposit on glass bottle of Barr's Irn Bru. Tastes so much better out of a glass bottle is the considered opinion up here in Scotland.
    Mountain Dew( pronounced do) is a lime green soda sold in the US; which fortunately doesn't seem to be here. Drink that and you are preserved in your coffin without the aid of embalming.
    Read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink for an interesting commentary on the Pepsi/ Coke taste challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right Michelle -I've had Mountain 'Do', Gaitorade and all sorts of horrible iced teas - they are all terrible. Give me a nice Shandy Bass anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another drink that seems to have disappeared is sterilised milk: commonly referred to as 'Stera'. My mum never bought it but I used to think it was a treat when offered it at a friend's house. Stera was in tall, slender bottles which looked nothing like traditional milk bottles. It tasted nothing like pasteurised milk or it's modern equivalent UHT. It was the marmite of milks. You were either a stera or a pasteurised drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can make any drink fizzy by sticking it in a sodastream - maybe I'll try it, although I always regaarded 'Stera' as the milk of the devil.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook:

    Corona? The Beadles used to sell it at their shop in Wellington Street. And there used to be a lorry that delivered it - you could get money back on the bottles. Cherryade/Orangeade
    I don't think we had a lot of it though.
    K says LSD (Lithgow Soft Drinks) or vinegar and bicarb.!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was a teenager on hols in Ireland you could buy Lucozade in a pub - never could do that and they called Tizer 'Red Lemonade' which made it sound really exotic.

    ReplyDelete