Sunday 9 May 2010

Sometimes...

Sometimes when I’m driving something will catch my eye and I have to stop the car and take it in for a while. Sometimes I snatch a picture, sometimes I don’t, sometimes I just sit in the car and stare letting my mind wander out and over to whatever has my attention, sometimes I get out of the car and stumble over to touch. Sometimes I come away knowing that I’ve been changed through the experience, sometimes I come away knowing that nothing has changed. Sometimes I come away calmed, lifted – sometimes I come away deeper down than ever I was before.

Four small trees, growing on a wall, in a field, close to the sea. I can smell salt, feel rain in the wind, hear waves fall in the distance. Sheep graze, sheltering from the wind beside the wall. Such small trees. Not a hedge, no not a hedge - four small trees shaped by wind and incident waiting in this field for me to come and stare and maybe bring some change.

Sometimes, this time I caught it up in pictures. Sometimes, this time I let my mind wander out and over, threading through the twisted branches, feeling the softness of the wool caught on sharpening thorns. Sometimes, this time I come away changed, calmer, melancholy but happier.

Four small trees waiting in a field for me - it might have been anything. I wonder what it'll be next time?

Sometimes I wonder what this all means.

8 comments:

  1. Ace drawing! Why don't you try profiting from your talent when Yellpocalypse strikes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo - I love trees trying to survive against the odds of the climate they are in - reminds me of the West of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook thread:

    Philip Morgan: That's a brilliant drawing Andy. You've got a real talent there mate.

    Andrew Height: I once had an idea I might make a living out of painting and drawing, I even tried... then I grew up and became an arse.

    Philip Morgan: I think you you give it another go - the drawing and painting, not the arseing.

    Phil Ogden: Are you, at least, keeping all these drawings, Andy?

    Andrew Height: I keep a few, I junk most

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah but that was probably before the internet, right? Things are different now - with a good website, some decent SEO, and an aggressive marketing/social networking campaign, who knows what you could do?

    If you've got it, monetise it. That's what I say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow yesterday to see The Glasgow Boys exhibition. Wonderful to see and admire. May your time come too AKH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all - I could at least have a go couldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing ventured and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes you are right - nothing ventured...

    ReplyDelete