Wednesday 1 July 2009

Small Pleasures...

Small Pleasures
number 3... Growing stuff.

Growing stuff is fun. Growing stuff you can eat is even funner.

I know that all the TV gadeners say it, and that it's become a cliche, but you really don't need very much space to grow fresh fruit and vegetables.

I have strawberries in a tall strawberry pot, an apple tree in another (this year with 22 apples on the way), peppers (chilli and sweet), cucumbers (two plants), tomatoes (three varieties in pots growing in a tiny plastic tomato house), herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, and tyme), more herbs (dill and mint), even more herbs (chives, basil, oregano, and lemon balm) all growing in pots of various sizes, dotted around our little garden in Wales and even smaller one at home in Altrincham.

I'm growing cougettes in deep hessian bags full on compost, and potatoes in two old dustbins at the bottom of the garden!

I grow watercress in our small stone fountain and Gaynor is even growing carrots in a carrot bag!

Now, I'm not claiming that we are going to be self-sufficient sufficient this summer, nor am I saying that our store cupboards will be full ready for the long, cold, winter - but we will have a dozen or more meals where everything will be home grown!

How fantastic is that for someone with a limited amount of spare space for a few pots and garden bags!

Herbs from seed are so easy. I can't remember the last time we had to buy parsley in the summer, or had to use a dried bay leaf - and a home-made bouquet garni in a lamb casserole adds such wonderful flavour - especially when the lamb is some of Holly's, and the potatoes are from one of my old dustbins.

Lettuce is a good place to start.

This year I've grown individual pots on a 'lettuce tree' that I've made from an old candle holder. I bought the steel buckets from Asda for fifty pence each in the end of season sale.

I'm really pleased with it - it works and is saving us a fortune.

When we want a salad we simply wash the pot down with the hose (lettuce and all), bring it indoors and snip away with the kitchen scissors as we need it. Far fresher and cheaper than packet lettuce bought from Sainsbury's, or the 'living lettuce' pots that they've started to sell.

And when the pot of lettuce is gone I simply empty the pot, refill with a little compost, plant some more seed, and start growing again.

So far, from my twenty-eight pence packet of mixed salad leaf seed fom Lidyl, we have had a dozen pots, and the packet is still almost full - bargain!

Still not convinced?

You will be if you try the lettuce. Go on get a couple of pots and give it a go.

6 comments:

  1. you're really trying to inspire me. I love growing things too but haven't done anything from seed. My mother would cover every window sill she could with seeds in trays ready to pot on so maybe that has put me off. I've got the room so I really should try.
    Sounds like you need an allotment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to kill everything in sight but this is indeed inspiring.
    AKH please try to be little less talented will you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year has been our first real attempt at veg & salad gardening. We are using a small raised bed only about 6 sq yards. It has provided all our lettuce (various types) for the last 6 weeks & they are still going strong. The radishes are good but not as peppery as they should be. Spring onions are growing very slowly. Tomatoes are an outdoor variety but will they ripen? Cucumber plants are beginning to look quite healthy. Spuds are getting really bushy- not sure when to pull them. A succession of rocket plants on the window sill are always available- delicious!
    So, mixed fortunes, but even if there are some failures it has been great fun, cheap and we have used a part of the garden that was completely neglected. I like the idea of potatoes in a dust-bin; will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right when I get back to the UK I am going to require step by step instructions. You people are remarkable. Enjoy the work of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should talk about raised beds Mr lloyd. I'm considering making one at the bottom of the garden in Wales - we have a concrete area - I'm thinking about 8ft by four from decking planks line with black polythene.

    I have just double glazed thecottage so have lots of old window panes that I might use to 'cloche' in the late winter to get a bit of a head start - how much 'raise' did you give the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the spelling and grammar stuff - but I was so excited... this is turning into Gardener's Question Time - How great! Over to you Bob Flowerdew for an organic view.

    ReplyDelete