Thursday 30 July 2009

On the bench...







Here’s the third ‘right under your nose’ thing:

No3: Bench Plaques

I was in Scarborough this week and saw this bench plaque not far from the Crescent Hotel where I was staying. I had no idea what a Soroptimist was, what the society did, or that in 1971 it had been the golden anniversary of the Soroptimist Society (whatever that was).

It piqued my curiosity and I needed to find out. Was it a secret society of men who met once a week, rolling up there trouser legs and placing tied handkerchiefs on their heads, after all it was Scarborough? Or a group of optimists who also belonged to the Society of Radiographers? Maybe even a dead German girl with a boy’s name who disguised herself through an anagram – RIP Miss Otto?

So I checked it out and it was none of these.

Founded in 1921, the Soroptimist society ("best for women") is an international volunteer organisation for business and professional women who work to improve the lives of women and girls in local communities throughout the world. The organisation seeks equality, peace, and international goodwill (not much then) along with the improvement of professional skills and the support of human rights, specifically women's rights. The SS has around 95,000 members in more than 120 countries and their head office is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Interesting… anyway, back to benches.

We all see them don’t we, benches in memoriam to Dora, or Terry, or mum, or dad - we all see them, but we don’t really see them at all do we?

There are over 215,000 memorial benches in the UK. Every town, village, or hamlet will have at least one, some towns will have dozens, some larger cities may have thousands!

Next time that you pass a bench look for the plaque and read it – you never know what it might be commemorating…

Just take a look at these.

3 comments:

  1. I like a nice bench plaque myself. I'll take a piccie of one next time I see one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do Glynne - I'm going to take a closer look from now on - they aren't always what they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what a coincidence - you could have simply asked me what the SS was as I came across it in May when one of my Irish cousins, a solicitor, told me she was a member and explained all about it. There was even a photo of her and her SS in the local Irish paper that we cut out and kept. Before that I knew nothing about it.
    We had a bench put near my mum's grave with a plaque dedicated to her life as a teacher. It's nice to sit on it and remember her.

    ReplyDelete