Thursday 28 March 2013

Frozen sandwich…

Here we go: ‘What will I blog about today?’, the first thing I thought when I looked out at the gently falling snow at six o'clock this morning.

Well the sun is shining now and, despite the unreasonable and unseasonable cold weather, that has to be a good thing.

They say this cold spell is going to last well into April, perhaps we’ll go from Winter to Autumn without anything in between. Either way we’re probably in for a shorter spring and summer – well, you can’t cram a quart into a pint pot and all that.

Apparently it’s all down to the Jet Stream, the Gulf Stream, climate change and Paddy McGinty’s goat. Well maybe not the goat but certainly the other three. Given how far north were are we shouldn’t be surprised that it’s cold, this is pretty much how it should be, but of course we’ve been spoilt by good fortune and Mother Nature who have tended to ignore our geography..

I wonder if there will even be a spring this year, perhaps we’ve seen the last spring we will ever see. What if that really happened? What if there was no spring or summer this year, no chance to get the crops into the ground? They say that the seasons are changing, but what if it isn’t change, a few weeks shift in the regular pattern, what if it is disappearance?

Is this how ice ages start? Later and shorter springs and summers, no autumn because no leaves have formed to fall, and then winter. Did year-round winter creep up gradually or did it appear over a just a few years? Fifty million years ago Antarctica had a temperate climate, evergreen forests and many more kinds of animals than it has today. As the icecap slowly formed, most of the animals that lived there in ancient times were obliterated. The evidence for this once warm climate is in the fossils of plants, including fossil ferns, found by scientists.

But what about the sandwich?

My daughter rushed into the kitchen this morning asking if she had a sandwich for lunch. Of course I had no idea and she stormed around declaring that she hadn’t time to make one. In the time that she spent moaning, and doing her hair, and throwing some books (probably the wrong ones) into her bag I’d made her a chicken salad sandwich, bagged it, and passed it to her.

I won’t be able to do that when the ice age gets here. They’ll be no bread, lettuce, or chicken.

13 comments:


  1. Lissa Tam commented on Facebook.
    Lissa wrote: "2 days of summer first, then autumn x"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz Shore commented on FB
    A sobering thought. I love the picture though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I'm pleased that you do. It's part drawn and part photographic. I'm sure that spring will get here eventually. I'm equally sure that crops aren't in the fields, livestock has died and prices are going to rise again.

      Delete
  3. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    I'm looking forward to the next ice age if its on its way. Besides chickens are quite good in cold weather and I'm sure we'll adapt. It feels quite alpine here in the Pennines. Oh and I hope your sandwich was appreciated. Classic good Dad thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Ian Maclachlan on FB
      Even after the deepest sub zero night, if you put your head in the coup to say good morning you can feel the heat the hens generate as they squash together for comfort.

      Delete
  4. Andrew Height
    I love the idea of digging down into my cave with my chickens and pigs and building a big roaring fire... the sandwich has not been mentioned so it must have been okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin Parrott on FB
    We're still freezing here in the High Peak. The garden's still covered by frozen snow, and we're feeding the birds at least twice a day.
    I'm old enough to remember the freeze of 1962/1963; I was still at Hyde Grammar School and did Christmas post.
    From my earnings I bought 'Dance On', the hit single at the time by The Shadows.......
    I guess this Shadows number from around the same era might be appropriate now.
    http://youtu.be/xw5AW6CGFqU

    SPRING IS NEARLY HERE - SHADOWS
    www.youtube.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height
      I remember that winter too Kevin. For me it was no school, sledges, and freezing cold bathrooms.

      Delete
  6. Nick Jones on FB
    They've been couped up too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10 hours ago · Like

    Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    So love the thoughts this provokes .......but the picture is fab.. Can imagine time spent looking at this.. Hope you are proud of it. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bernadette Doyle
    Love the picture

    ReplyDelete
  9. David Bell on FB
    It's 25 degrees here in the South and the wildebeest are starting their migration

    ReplyDelete