Thursday 21 March 2013

James Herbert...

I was very surprised to hear yesterday that James Herbert the writer had died. I didn't know he was ill and hadn't expected it at all. Was it an accident? Did something bad happen? But no, apparently he died peacefully in his sleep. Not like most of the characters in his books then. Most of then came to various unsavoury ends.

I've been reading him for years. The thought that there would no more of his intriguing tales left me a little sad; and he was only 69. His books may not be great literature but they are damn good yarns with a little spice thrown in for good measure. I can't say I waited with excitement for his latest novel of strange and unnerving happenings to come out, but I eventually got around to reading his latest not too long after release.

A few years back I bid for one of his doodles in an on-line auction. I think I went to £25 and it eventually went for £40 or so. I wish now that I'd gone a little higher and bought it. I really liked it as a doodle and it was so typically him. There was always a good slice of tongue firmly in his cheek in whatever he wrote. It must have been his ad agency copywriter background. That's what he used to do, write copy in an ad agency. He wrote The Rats in a just few months, scribbling away in their time as he was bored shitless with the advertising game. Good on him I say.

Anyway, that's it. No more Rats or Magic Cottages, no more Survivors or even Spears - not even a Ghost of Sleath or two. I may try to reread his books, but I'm not sure they'll stand a second read. I think I'll do The Rats though - just for old times sake.

Bye James, with you another small piece of my past goes too. Thank goodness Stephen King is still around and writing.

10 comments:

  1. Andrew Height
    Couldn't resist. Just bought The Rats for my Kindle - 99p. Time to revisit my youth. RIP James.

    ReplyDelete


  2. Andy B D Bickerdike on FB
    Domain, used to read his books.. Still have some to read yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz Shore on FB
    I think I've read most of them. I only finished Ash a couple of weeks ago. It is very sad news .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mick Norman on FB
    It is indeed sad. It will however, spur me on to extricate myself from my current Stephen King fixation and re-read some Herbert 'classics'.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Mick Norman on FB
    However, it is pretty fucking displeasing to find that while 'The Rats' might be 99p for the Kindle version in the UK, on the US site, its $6.59!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 12 hours ago · Like

    Mick Norman on FB
    Some cunning account trickery and I have now bought 'The Rats' for 99p.... take that Amazon,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Height Well done Mick. Book Club anyone?

    ReplyDelete

  8. Liz Shore on FB
    I bought all three just after Christmas, plus a couple of others. I think I got 6 James Herbert books for under a fiver!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul Eddison on FB
    What a great story - couldn't sleep for months after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phil Morgan on FB
    I've just finished Ash. Very sorry to see a great author go...

    ReplyDelete