Friday 8 March 2013

Blog recipe…


Writing a blog is like deciding what to have for dinner. There’s no recipe for it and it’s really hard to come up with something interesting and different each day, let alone tasty. Some days I really can’t be bothered to serve up even the equivalent of literary beans on toast and there’s no chance of a wordy salmon en croute with fine beans and fresh parsley sauce.

Today I don’t think I can even manage a lump of cheese, and believe me I did consider it.

I had three potential blogging meals on my not very long menu when I awoke this morning – cheese, daffs and that awful murder of a 16 year old girl on a bus in Birmingham. A bit of a mixture really.

The terrible and pointless murder of Christina Edkins took place outside a building I used to work in sometimes – 54 Hagley Road. As I watched the scenes outside the building on the news it made me think about how strange it is that I should feel a sense of personal ownership when I see a place I know well on the television. Somehow it makes it makes the watching experience seem more real. I watched an episode of the Baker Boys, a cooking programme, the other evening and they visited an Exmouth pub I used to frequent way back when. It made me feel so nostalgic that I could almost feel the stickiness of the carpet on the soles of my shoes.

The cheese idea was simply about cheese. I love cheese of all types and I particularly like eating it on its own with a glass of port. Last night I had some Cheddar, a crumbly Cheshire, a dollop of Brie and a thin slice of crystallising Parmesan with a quite nice glass of Taylors. For a while I though that cheese might make a good blog but I didn't quite know where to take it. I suppose I could have cheesed it up a bit but...

And that left the miniature daffs which are the only flowers in bloom in my yard at the moment. I can’t remember planting them, but I must have - unless of course the flower fairy planted them for me. For a few seconds I wondered if I might wax lyrical about flower fairies and stuff but...

So much for 54, daffs, and cheese - a tasting menu of the blogs I didn’t write because I didn’t think them interesting enough.

Not that it usually bothers me.

And then of course there was that all important picture. Andy Warhol was good at taking the ordinary and making it appear more interesting. But all I had was a very uninteresting photograph of my mystery miniature daffs that I took this morning when I still thought I might write about them.

So, no post at all today I’m afraid. Perhaps I’ll find a recipe tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    your "no post" was good....thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian Maclachlan on FB
    I enjoyed your bit of nothing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Andrew Height
      Might be even more nothing today

      Delete
  3. Catherine Halls-Jukes on FB
    I enjoyed too...and felt the same sense of ownership and horror at hearing about the end of a precious life outside an place I know so well..........

    ReplyDelete