Thursday 21 June 2012

Moody world...

People say I’m moody; but it isn’t me, it’s the world that’s moody - constantly changing every day, hitting me with the unexpected. If only I knew what to expect, if only the world would be the same and predictable each day. If the world was consistent then I’m sure my mood would be consistent to match. But it isn’t; so I find myself having to adapt to the mood of the world around me.

Let me try to explain. This morning I got up to the music of the wind against my window and despite the heavily curtained room I knew that outside the day was grey, either raining or at least heavily fearful with the threat. So the sound of the wind and the scudding grey clouds set the tone for the day and, with the greyness I knew lurked outside, so was my mood.

Walking along the road, wind blowing at my heels, air heavy with that dank greyness of another dank grey day, I began to notice the minutiae of the world around me. A leaf tumbling along the path, the way that people walked all hunched and pocketed huddling from the heavy breeze, a torn poster on a window flapping its wave at me. Well, one thing leads to another and shot by shot the film in my head turned black and white, French, and sentimentally sad – it was all I could do not to search for a red balloon floating in the sky above.

Strangely, despite my ability to focus on the incredible detail around me and put it all together as what I like to think is a big picture, I hardly ever recognise the players moving within it even when I know them. So I may well have passed people I know quite well without any acknowledgement at all providing more evidence of my moodiness some might say. Truth is though; I’m so caught up in observing the mood of the world that I hardly ever see the people moving through it

So to my point, if there is one: If I cut you dead in the street, it isn’t because I’m ignoring you, or that I’m being moody – it’s just that I’m caught up in the mood of the world, listening to its music and looking to the sky for a single red balloon - and I'm sticking to it.

17 comments:

  1. Kevin Parrott on Facebook:
    I remember it well. It was on TV in the 50s, b&w. There was another film at the time about a bicycle thief (Italian film I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. At primary school we were taken to a live theatre production of the children's educational programme 'Picture Box'. This took place at the Tameside Theatre in Stockport. Alan Rothwell presented films of which one was The Red Balloon. It certainly held our attention as I remember being glued to it and don't remember any surrounding naughtiness. He was the first person I saw in real life that I had seen on TV. What an event! Simple days.
    The blog could have been written in November. A piece of history informing the future know as to how crap was the June of 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Snow My memory is also extensive. We had B&W back then do the red balloon was a bit lost on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra Bouguerch on Facebook: i somehow think i have seen this film?? got my last results today for the personal project since jan. am chuffed to bits. really tired now though!! will let you know the final out come later on next month when its all been formulted x liked your observations on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drawforjoy Illustrations on Facebook:
    I remember! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky Sutcliffe Not me... Before my time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam Reeve Got it on blu-ray for £6 on Amazon. Great film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara Balding on Facebook:
    I remember it well! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you haven't seen it then you should..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhvgo62l74

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't recall the plot but I seem to remember it was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster with a bitter-sweet ending.
    If you ignored me in the street I'd punch you very hard and repeatedly until you acknowledged me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands are like iron, what do you think I am... a softie?

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see a balloon disappearing up into the sky I think about the child that is left behind crying.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sparky that save my bacon! (crosses fingers, revolves three times, salutes and twitches nose).

      Delete