Saturday 9 June 2012

Comings and goings...

Okay, first thing first – not that this should be my first thing. No, I have other more pressing things to be first - but somehow now seems to be just about the right time.

It’s raining. Not the refreshing rain that always makes me smile, but that grey, wet, drizzle rain that soaks everything and seeps through into your bones. Rain like this gets to my soul and when that happens… well, I need a happy thought.

My happy thought? Chicken for tea. Yes, I know not much, but something.

I have much to do, so why this first? Well, for one thing it has been a week of comings and goings. More goings really, but a significant coming inasmuch as little by little I feel a change in the very fabric of my world - what do I mean? I’m not really sure yet, but if there are some grand cosmic tumblers out there then I think I hear the starting to fall into place – just what place I have no idea, but scarily – warts and all – I think I may be becoming me. I hope so anyway. I can’t go on being all these others.

So a ray of hope and a Ray of loss. Excuse my pun, I’m sure Mr. Bradbury would. And others too - Robin Gibb, a long funeral procession in the town where I was born, a funeral service in the church where I was christened, the weeping of more tears in the graveyard where so many of my family are buried – Gran, Charlie, Len, Lena, Kate and all the rest – even my Gramps a man I never met but I’m sure I know. What a beautiful place, the yew tree walk and the standpipes with their watering cans to water the planted graves. So hard to find Gramps, so hard to find Gran's – not unmarked but almost.

I can still smell the dust of a sunny day, see the soft, not-quite-red oval berries scattered on the path. Down the steep stone steps and away with a whistle to the river. Just walk and walk, and walk and walk, until those silly, unmanly tears are dry -- and look a bright blue cornflower in the field.

And Sparkle? Well, I’m not quite sure - but I feel she might be off on a journey. May she find the right place and laughter - high on a hill in the warm evening sun to watch the fairies dance.

And that other? Some peace is my wish, peace for them all – a salted peace and a sleeping night.

Well, that’s it - all done and first things first. I feel better now. Still raining – well, lets get on with the day. Happy anniversary. xx

14 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook:

    Loved the blog this evening.
    Whose anniversary is it - not yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sleep deep and once in bed I stay there... just in case there is something under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually what is this 'just in case'? There's always something under the bed.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    ♥ Thame, Oxfordshire UK
    Birthplace and hometown for 14 years.
    Has it changed much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there last year... short answer yes and no. Lots more houses, No Potters, no old messy shops - all spick and span and shiny for the spick, span, shiny commuter people. I loved our Thame. When I'm gone I'd like some of my ashes scattered in St Mary's churchyard.

      Delete
    2. Della Jayne Roberts - Are pubs still OK?

      Delete
  6. Last time I was in them they were okayish - The Brewers is still a dive, the Bells is a hooray Henry Paradise. I went in the Falcon and liked that a lot. A few, like the Abingdon are restaurants - expensive but good Italian, and the Saracen's went year ago which was a shame. Never got to the Rising Sun but I bet old skakey doesn't get your beer from a barrel at the back any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Della Jayne Roberts The Rising Sun is a Pad Thai place.

      Andrew Height Groan - how do you know?

      Lindsey Messenger Yeah della is right about the ring sun, but is also nice pub. Two brewers has closed down...think it might be offices?!.The Thatch is nice but very busy, have never been to the Falcon. and the swan is closed also!!...

      Della Jayne Roberts http://www.thethatchthame.co.uk/

      The Thatch, Thame
      www.thethatchthame.co.uk
      The Thatch is run by the award-winning Peach Pub Company. Founder, Lee Cash, was one of Raymond Blanc's inspectors on the TV show and, with co-founder Hamish Stoddart, was recently named in the Observer's Future 500 survey as one of the UK's Top 50 Talents in food.

      Delete
  7. Phil Morgan on Facebook:: Lovely thought provoking piece Andy. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - not sure that I do though. I live it.

      Delete