Wednesday 13 June 2012

Father's day card...

I slipped off and bought my dad his father’s day card this morning. I know, well somebody has to be my dad. Anyway, somehow and for some reason fatherhood has been on my mind a lot recently and buying that card started my brain going places I really don’t like to go and it started me thinking about fatherhood; me and fatherhood. Not becoming a father in having children terms I hasten to add, I’ve done that, but just being a father in general. You see the thing is after years of pretending I’ve come to realise that I’m really rather rubbish at it. Oh, I’m sure I’m not the worst father in the world but I must be in the lower quartile on the ideal father percentage scale. No, I’m no George Bailey I’m afraid - it just doesn’t come that naturally to me and if I’m really honest I’ve always known that.

Of course, I’d stand up for my children if they were falsely accused or unfairly treated – I’ve done that and always will. But I can’t simply support them when I think that they’re wrong and I don’t think I could love them unconditionally no matter what. 

I’ve often wondered how the parents of terrorists, murderers, child abusers, drug pushers, and all the rest of the riff-raff feel about their offspring. I’m incredulous at the ones who try to justify their offspring’s actions, or simply don’t believe that they’ve done it despite absolute proof. My children aren’t any of those things, but we all have our moments, and if they ask my view, back me into a corner or follow a path I can’t agree with… well, that’s when I become a rubbish father. Father’s you see should comply and I can’t. I can't be a puppet or a fool, not even to please my children. Oh, I know that the problem’s mine, an ideal father would do what ideal father’s do and make it all better - play the puppet, play the fool, but not me.

I can't. I don’t.

Thing is as well as being a father (warning - excuse, excuses, excuses) I’m a person too and (believe it or not) full of all the stuff that people have inside them. The stuff that makes them ‘them’ and the stuff that makes me ‘me’ – good and bad, warty warts and all – but maybe if I just ignored it and filled myself full of ‘father’ stuff then I’d be a better father – but where would me be?

How selfish of me to want to be me.

By way of confirmation a certain someone snarled at me this morning: ‘You need to work out what you are doing.” And yes I do, (big cigar for the girl with the pink hair). You blew my cover.
Yes. Indeed. I. Do.

I only wish I could, it’s what every daughter has the right to expect from her father. I’ll leave it at that I think.

And I only went into the shop to buy a bloody card.

9 comments:

  1. Emma Cholmondeley on Facebook
    Interesting blog this evening. From what I remember you weren't half as bad as you think you are now as a 'dad'
    As you said it is what it is. Or it 'was' what it 'was', and in my mind it was good. Anyway said it all before. Boring I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Emma - the most grounded of children I have known and proud to think she even thinks of me in the same breath as a dad)

      Nice of you to say so, but I lack the courage sometimes to be a really good Dad - and it is what it is. Other Dad's have a happy family - mine just seem troubled most of the time. I think I'm beginning to understand why.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I understand why.

      Delete
  2. Catherine Halls-Jukes on Facebook:
    but isn't that the difference between parents and good parents - ones who are not just mum and dad, but are people in their own right, and can teach their children that people may have different view's, believes etc........that what's being a parent is isn't it .....if not then I join you as a rubbish mum :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... Mums are different Catherine. There is no such thing as a crap mum and I know that you could never, ever be one anyway.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook ♥ I really should be hanging my washing out and doing 101 other things .... But what am I doing?
    I am looking at: What makes a good/bad dad/parent ... What is a dad/father ..
    And there's a lot of crap out there. And crap Mums!
    Father's Day isn't until 2nd Sept here.
    You are you and you shouldn't change and be what others think/want you to be. Fcuk 'em❕
    Do what you believe is right (and isn't harming anyone physically or mentally) and do what makes you happy. Sermon over - thanks for another thought provoking blog. ♥

    ReplyDelete