Tuesday 17 January 2012

A question of coleslaw…

When I heard that Antony Worall Thompson had been arrested for shoplifting last week I wasn’t at all surprised. After all a man who doodles a twirling time-tunnel psychedelic carrot for charity, colouring it in with fluorescent marker, and then having to re-examine his spelling, can’t be all there can he?

All where?
There, you know.
Where there?
There.
Ah, there! Did he just slip something in his pocket?

I bid for this doodle on e-bay a few years back. Each March a whole bunch of pen-and-pencilled-up celebrities auction off their doodles for the epilepsy charity and I was lucky enough to get AWT’s carrot, plus a very fine signature, for around fifteen pounds or so. Of course if it had been on display in Tesco I could probably have simply slipped it into my pocket and slowly, so as not to cause any suspicion, walked away - but it wasn’t, so I couldn’t.

No, instead I bought my doodle in good faith and now (shock, horror) I find that my doodler is a thief who (if his appearance on TV last Sunday is to be believed) was sent away to boarding school at three, sexually abused, and has been undergoing psychotherapy for his ‘addiction’ - as he calls his petty thievery of cheeses and marked-down coleslaw.

How very outrageous! The nicking that is, not the abuse.

Mind you, watching him at the weekend I saw a very different man from the TV chef I’ve so disliked whenever I’ve watched him secreting his bumptious personality into my living room through the television screen. Good job that he can’t reach in through the telly, he might nick the remote and set it to repeat ‘Ready, Steady, Cook’ over and over ad infinitum.

Hell in a shopping-trolley.

Actually, I almost felt sorry for the obviously caught, confused, cook trying so hard to justify himself and failing, putting up with the tired jokes and jibes of the panel of jokers and satirists like the proverbial lamb (don’t forget the rosemary and fennel rub) to the slaughter.

Almost, but not quite.

Looking at his downcast eyes, the way his head hung, beard on chins, listening to his distracted mumbling excuses, I was sure I could see the old AWT beneath, the one that would have done it simply because he wanted to, because he could, and to slip the finger to everybody and everything, the angry AWT that we all know so well. The one that drew the jagged, over-bright, psychedelic carrot that hangs on my kitchen wall.

I’m sure that he’ll be back. But the question remains – Why?

Why a carrot?
Why a psychedelic one?
Why all those receding, diminishing, squares?
And just why is it drawn so very much off-centre to the page – because it is… very off-centre.

If I look closely can I see it’s the work of a sexually abused chef who was sent away to boarding school aged three and went on to become a shoplifter appearing on a comedy chat show as penance?

Maybe.

Perhaps I should put it up on e-bay, who knows AWT’s new infamy might increase its value, or maybe I should show it to his psychotherapist. Perhaps his doodle holds the answers – after all, they put carrots in coleslaw don’t they?

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, your brushes (or fluorescent marker pens) with the celebrity lifestyle and your tales of the lives of the rich and famous are always so fascinating...

    Were you once a mole for the very "Take-a-Break" you wish to sell your stories to...?

    Should we be putting you on the Leveson list...?

    The truth is out there!
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I sincerely hope not... It's all just in the spirit of intriguedness because (as far as I am aware) I've never once crossed paths with anyone "well known" and I certainly don't have any of their artwork on my walls... Didn't you once tell me that you were at school with a sleb or two too...?

      Delete
    2. P.S. Not sure I'm liking this whole "chat" development...

      Delete
  4. Very amusing and just the ticket after a few rather miserable days in this homestead.
    Going off slightly at a tangent I am intrigued by the epilepsy charity event. I must declare an interest in that my 19 year old daughter, Dominique, was diagnosed with epilepsy early last year. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh isn't google a wonderful thing. Found all the info i need.

    Oh and failed another interview today. What joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear both your news-es Michelle, I had an aunt who had really bad episodes. It is better these days.

    I love the doodle auction and it is such a great idea.

    I am so used to failing interviews (or not getting them these days) that I think I might just doodle my life away on my island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin - I was at school with Colin Firth (Actor), Howard Goodall (composer, radio presenter and children's music thingy) , Julian Merrow-Smith (painter), Leo Campbell (an aide to David Cameron), a murderer who killed his wife (twice)and that chap who was in the Banana Splits who pops up on TV every now and again.

    But although I know that - they probably wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presumably two separate wives, otherwise I'm wondering about the methods of teaching of practical mathematics being used during the "happiest days of your life"...

      I seem to remember you mentioning the other Firth, too, the one who went on to be a "Spook"...

      My! None of my lot of school chums ever seemed to amount to anything much, at least not in the "public" gaze...

      Delete
    2. Yes, and David Tomlinson's (Mary Poppins / Bedknobs and Broomsticks) sons were there for a while too. It was a bit posh in the boarding houuse. I was just a scum day boy.

      Delete
  8. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook: why..is a good question and to be honest i cant think of an answer!! ooooo must go masterchef is on!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Masterchef - that Asian girl is freaky... love her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon Hutt on facebook: The one redeeming feature of AWT was that, when I lived in Henley, he used to poke a lot of fun at the Henley Womens Committee who continually caused petty problems for innocent people and shopkeers and so on .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colin Firth, now I'm impressed!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete