Friday 13 January 2012

Incident Number 0155 11/01/12

I've not blogged for a few days. I've been busy dealing with the mess, both physical and emotional left by the police trying to break my mother-in-laws front door down. Today I wrote to the Civil Litigation Unit seeking recompense. Here's my letter - the bold bits have been added afterwards.

Further to my telephone conversation of this morning I am writing as requested to request payment (demand) for damage caused to my mother-in-laws front door by two of your officers (thugs).

In the early hours of Wednesday morning (I was proceeding down the avenue...) two of your policemen (monkeys) tried forcing entry (smashing into) into my mother-in-law’s house through the front door with a crowbar causing damage (destroying) to the frame and glass.

My mother-in-law had left her living room light on (Call the police! Oh, somebody did already) and a neighbour (nosey, meddling bitch of a neighbour) decided that she should call an ambulance, and subsequently the police, after convincing her (mental) self that my mother-in-law had had some sort of accident or was unwell in the house (or had possibly been abducted by aliens).

To the contrary though, my mother-in-law was actually (tucked up sound and warm) in bed asleep and had taken her hearing aid out as people do when they go to bed (to prevent it slipping into her ear and piercing her brain) (she is very hard of hearing). So there was nothing wrong at all apart from a single light which she had forgotten to turn off (did I already say call the police?) - as most of us do from time to time (usually without the police battering your door down).

My mother in law s old (ancient) (82) but mobile, alert, and in touch with us daily (and not by ouija board). Her neighbour (the one who called the police) (the stupid bitch who called the police) saw (was spying on her) her at 10.30pm putting out the bins so she knew she was okay at this time. Apart from saying hello (smiling inanely) in passing she doesn’t really know anything (jack shit)) about my mother in law including any health issues, and obviously didn’t know that she has hearing problems (but we all know about the neighbours delusions of grandeur issues).

With this in mind, and given that my mother-in-law had not complained to her or anyone else of feeling ill or given her any cause for concern (she did leave a light on though), I find it hard to understand (friggin' gobsmacked) just why she called out the emergency services (panicky, stupid, nosey old curtain twitcher) . Oddly though she seems to watch my mother-in-laws movements (spies on her), she saw her putting her bins out and later that my mother-in-law’s light was on (yes, she spies on her). This wasn’t the first time either, on another occasion she mentioned to my mother-in-law (who sometimes has problems sleeping) that her light was on very late (a crime punishable by death I expect) and that she had almost called the police as a result (yes she's mad, quite mad)).

At some time before 1.30 the neighbour tried knocking at my mother-in-law’s door (rushing around, crying, pulling her hair out) but didn’t get a reply as she was asleep (well it was the early hours) (not that she would have answered anyway at that time of night for security reasons) (and just in case a mad neighbour kills her). Soon after the neighbour called out the emergency services ‘just in case’ (Yes, that's what she said 'just in case') my mother in law had had an accident (she could just picture it. My mother-in -law dead on the carpet after lipping on a banana skin). The ambulance men told her that they couldn’t break (because they aren't stupid) in so she then called the police (who were stupid) at around fourteen minutes past two. Two officers arrived shortly after and proceeded to try to jemmy the door with a crowbar (that they just happened to be carrying) managing to smash the corner of the door and frame, and crack the leaded stained glass insert in the process (well done boys).

As far as we can ascertain from other neighbours your officers did not (didn't bother) to try to check with them about my mother-in-law (some of them are aware of her hearing problems and would have realised the situation) and simply acted upon the (mad) imaginings of this single neighbour.

Apparently your officers tried the bell and shouted (just like hooligans might) through the letter box and went around the back of the house (like thieves), but as I’ve said my mother-in-law was asleep in bed without her hearing aid. (Mind you, if she had heard them she wouldn’t have answered the door anyway as she would have been too terrified, and we have asked her not to open the door to strangers particularly at night).

Eventually though the noise of your officers trying to break her front door (smashing at it and kicking it) down did wake her. Initially she thought it was someone trying to break in to her house and was too frightened (physically sick actually) to come down the stairs. It wasn’t until she heard the voice of her hysterical (crazy bitch of a) neighbour calling her that she came to the door.

Your officers took her name, age, next of kin, and doctor’s name (why they needed this is a mystery). They did not leave an incident number or their names and when my mother-in-law asked them about the damage to the door they simply said that they were on a routine call (yeah right, I think by this time they realised they'd been very silly boys), inferring that it was up to her to sort it out (and getting their piggy arses out of their as quickly as possible). They did not offer the address or contact number of the civil litigation group as (as I was told they are bound to do) they should have done. They just left without further explanation, leaving my mother-in-law confused, distressed, and feeling as though she had done something wrong when all she had done was forget to turn a light out (and crying , and shivering, and trying to deal with her mad, hysterical neighbour).

My wife and I went to Altrincham police station the following morning to find out how to proceed and register our dissatisfaction (understatement) with the way the incident had been handled (bungled). I asked the officer on the desk who would pay for the door and she said that the police would (yes, that is what she said). She also said there was no mention of any damage to the door in the report (I wonder why?).

I subsequently spoke to PS 15984 Dave (the dick) Birchall that evening and he confirmed his view that he was answering a routine call (well, he would do wouldn't he) - he was quite condescending in my view (actually he was a defensive arrogant, rude, pig).

Of course I am not disputing that there might have been something amiss, but given that this neighbour had seen my mother-in-law only a few hours earlier, only had a left-on-light as evidence of anything untoward, doesn’t know my mother-in-law (or Jack Shit) well enough to know that she is very hard of hearing (almost deaf, poor love. Not that she admits it), and that your officers didn’t check with any other neighbours (too busy being police warriors), I think that they acted a little hastily (like the Keystone Kops they are).

Yes, as PS 15984 Dave Birchall, in my rather frustrating conversation (actually really, really, annoying) with him continually repeated, I do understand that it might have been a different story if there had have been a problem – but there wasn’t (nope, just one small light bulb left burning). The door was damaged needlessly (destroyed) and my mother-in-law embarrassed, upset and made to feel stupid (not to mention terrified) simply because of the over active imagination (mad, paranoid, fantasies) of a neighbour she hardly knows and a light which she forgot to turn off.

Generally, I really am at a loss to understand (another understatement) the actions of your officers or why they left my mother-in-law without any information on who they were or what to do next (actually I think this one is obvious). Maybe they should have asked a few more questions of the neighbour (like - Are you mad? have you done this sort of thing before? What are the voices saying now?). At the very least they should have done more to inform my mother-in-law of what she should do next and he rights concerning the damaged door (perhaps they were simply forgetful - not).

It seems to me that they just tried forcing her door on the say so of a single overly-nervous (nutty) neighbour in the early hours of the morning, failed, then just left without any further explanation ('Lets get out of here. We just screwed up bud'). If she didn’t have any family to help her sort this out, she’d simply be left with a damaged door and no recourse for action (and that is what those two were hoping for).

As it is she is now worried about turning the lights on or even leaving her curtains closed in the mornings in case her neighbour overreacts (that's how mad all the people in the road think her to be) again.

As I said, she’d like to claim for the damage to the door please (£800). I’d also like to know why your officers were so remiss in their duty (apart from them being thoughtless, bumbling, cowards) in informing and giving the relevant information to my mother-in-law.

Yours sincerely (very),

We'll see - I may write an article for Take-a-Break.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon Taylor Andrew, have you given thought to giving the 'nutty' neighbour your number in case of 'emergency'? Unfortunately if the police think they are acting in good faith they probably won't pay out, your Mum-in-law may have to claim on her house insurance. I know it is no comfort - but what if she was a lady on her own and something untoward had happened and the neighbours had ignored the signs? It does happen and how do you tell the difference as an outsider with no information apart from a garbled radio message? Just another possible side to the story...

    Andrew Height Most neighbours have our number and a key. Not her though, never her - she would ring and ring. And of course you are right, although it doesn't make it right. The police did not follow their own processes.


    Sharon Taylor If they didn't follow their own process then you have a case - I would follow that one up as they won't have a leg to stand on. I do hope your Mum-in-law is a bit more settled and able to leave her own lights on !!!!!!!


    Laura Keegan I think you should have sent the copy with the bold inserts! They are shocking, even stick up for the criminals around here!


    Philip Heslehurst Sorry to hear about that andy hope your mother in law is ok now. Just a question what would you have thought if the bobbies had have done nothing and it turned out that she was really in trouble? I think given the circumstances I would have put the door in too. If it looked like the neighbours were up I would have checked with either side first I wouldn't have knocked them up though. I'd have checked if we had phone numbers if I was getting no joy, an ambulance outside, a neighbour saying there is someone in there I'm worried and I can't get any response to knocking then the door is going in. Now what I would have done differently is once I found she was ok I would have stayed with her until the place was secure or I had got some family with her but you never know what else is going on and how many people they had to deal with it. Have you been able to speak to the bobbies who were actually there to get their side of events ? If your not happy then put a complaint in and it will get thoroughly investigated.


    Philip Heslehurst Just re-read your blog I see the Sgt who you spoke to was there.

    Phillip Yeadon What a shitty thing to happen, surely the police didn't just leave her on her own with a smashed in door in the middle of the night after such an awful shock?! That is completely unforgivable. We really feel for her Andi, Don't let this go Andi, this sort of thing must not go unaddressed.


    Emma Cholmondeley Did they actually just leave her with an unsecure house in the middle of the night? And in a state of shock? If so that is not right :-\

    Andrew Height Couple of points here folks. The house was secure - they were so inept that they couldn't break in - just completely trashed the door. It still locks though. And yes, I spoke at length to one of the policemen who attended - he was an arrogant idiot. I'm fully aware of what might have been - but it wasn't and all they did was upset an old lady and then leave her - they didn't even ask if there was anyone who they could call, and she was too upset to do it herself until the next day. My view of the police has changed forever.

    Andrew Height But yes - I do understand why they did it, but not what they did. Still no point ingoing on so I'll leave it as it is now in the hands of the civil litigation group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Shore I think she should count herself lucky they didn't taser her. I would have done. And the neighbour. In fact if I had a taser I'd use it on everybody I saw. I think I may have gone off topic.

    Richard Shore BTW, how are you. The reaction of the police sounds incredibly frustrating.

    Philip Heslehurst It does sound they let your mother in law down badly afterwards. Is this civil litigation group a formal complaint against the bobbies or is it just for the damages ? If it is just for damages consider a formal complaint this way it will get thoroughly investigated.

    Philip Heslehurst Rik you may need a taser with extra batteries :-)

    Phillip Yeadon Is there a taser app?

    Richard Shore Can you get a lead to charge them from the car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a list of people I am going to get with my kalashnikov. In fact my sister phones me to request that I add people to the list. Think I may have a few issues with anger.

    How is your m-in-l now? I imagine still extremely shaken. I know I would be.

    ReplyDelete