Friday 27 January 2012

Ooooooooh... it just won't doo you know...

Ooooooooh... it just won't doo you know...

That’s my new catchphrase; everybody needs one, and back in the golden age of comedy (whenever that was) everybody had one and some still do – well not exactly catchphrases but - it's good but it's not right

Can ‘yer tell what it is yet? Well actually it’s a catchphrase.

Hello playmates! A catchphrase (or catch-phrase) is a phrase or expression - ooo err missus - recognized by its repeated utterance - listen very carefully, I shall say this only once. Such phrases often originate in popular culture - ere, stop messin’ about - and in the arts - can yer tell what it is yet?. Some are educational - Bend over, Wendover! - and others typically posed a question - is it ‘cos I is black or is it because I’m the only gay in the village? - and spread (I say, Ding dong) through a variety of mass media (such as literature and publishing, motion pictures, television and radio - please do not adjust your set), as well as word of mouth and it’s all done in the best possible taste.

Some become the de facto - they don’t like it up ‘em - "trademark" or "signature" of the person or character with whom they originated, well, a man’s only as old as the woman he feels, silly boy, and can be instrumental in the typecasting (beneficially or otherwise), but am I bovvered, of a particular actor. I don’t believe it!

It’s all a bit swinging… dodgy really. Some Catchphrases are near the knuckle, or rather my arse, and others are instructional – calm down. Some tell you something of import - this is a local shop – and others can be a warning –don’t mention the war.

Still with me? Well, look at me when I'm talking to you!

And now for something completely different

Hello playmates! Can you hear me mother? You lucky people. I have a cunning plan. I’m free. You rotten swine you. You're my wife now! Just like that!

Anyway, nice to see you, to see you ... nice! I thank you and it's goodnight from me, and it's goodnight from him.

10 comments:

  1. Your on blogging fire. One of my very favourites?
    "I fink I got it wrong agin Dad."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it,

      My favourite from my favourite comedian... 'How's yer mother off for dripping?'

      Delete
  2. It's that man again, it's that man again, it's that Andy Height again... Stupid boy... (coughs) Arsenal!... Is it a wig...? Stop messin' about... He's fallen in the water... I have a cunning plan... Keep 'em peeled... Stone me... Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend, Sandy... Be seeing you... Let's be careful out there... Ooh! I could crush a grape... Fan-dabby-dozy...

    Ay-thang-yuw... M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Shore on Facebook:
    Can an object be a catchphrase? I was always fond of Mrs. Slocombes pussy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian Maclachlan on Facebook:
    Don't know that one Andi.
    "The day war broke out my wife said to me..." I need to find Rob Wilton on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    nice to see you..brucie. Good night from me...2 ronnies. I,m free...john ingman.Just like that...tommy cooper.Am i bovvered....catherine tate. Dont mention the war...john cleese. Only gay in the village...matt lucas. I dont believe it....victor mildrew........:)

    Lindsey Messenger trying to think of a catchphrase for myself, but can only think of.....large white wine!! or....small costalite!! sure i most say other things as often!!
    12 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul Kestertonon Facebook:
    Having worked with my wife for the last 20 years she reckons my catchphrase is 'the f***ing client wants what!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooh... it just won't doo you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charles Hawtrey had the best one... "How's yer mother off for dripping?'

    Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    I must get a little hand on this watch!

    ReplyDelete