Monday 23 January 2012

Just a little thought on war...

I've been researching the Second World War recently. Not for fun (although it is) but because I've been doing some blog writing for a few blogs other than my own.

Anyway, a thought has been niggling away at me for a while now and it kind of fruited when I read the blog post of a friend of mine this morning. He visited the Imperial War Museum at the weekend and as always it got him thinking.

Well, his thinking got me thinking, so I responded to his post.

I often wonder how today's people, yes us (adults and children) would cope with the change and disruption of something akin to either the First or Second World Wars. They touched everyone regardless of age, colour, religion, or social standing in a way nothing before or since could, did, or has. What must it have been like to be an evacuated child separated for years from family, a soldier in the trenches suffering from shell-shock, a wounded solider on the beaches in a time when penicillin was in short supply, or a woman volunteer manning the barrage balloons as pieces of a damaged doodlebug rained down around you?

Everyone in the country caught up in a tangle.

I know that this may sound awful but car bombs and even the twin towers are almost nothing in comparison. They only graze us as they pass through our TV screens and don't really touch our lives unless we are one of the unlucky few.

Let's hope that it is ever so.


2 comments:

  1. For research into such things, the IWM (North) is a really good place to go. When I was writing the play wot I wrote ;-) about WW1 there was an exhibition on tied to the wonderful "Horrible Histories" books that really helped shape the mood. the play, of course, sits unloved and unperformed in a drawer, but the things I learned have really stuck with me, perhaps more so because of that exhibition than from the pile of books I read at the time... M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll stay home and Google - no fines that way. :-)

      Delete