Thursday 24 June 2010

Woolly jumpers…

That’s me in the woolly jumper. Me, my mum, my younger sister Caroline in her duffel coat, and my little sister Della in her tartan pinafore dress staring down at her Wellingtons.

We are in the New Forest. We used to go to camping in the New Forest a lot in my Dad’s old Bedford Dormobile back in the sixties. Here we all are, not quite awake, early morning autumn and all wrapped up warm in hand- knitted sweaters and cardies to keep out the cold.

Back then everyone wore hand-knits and just about everyone knitted. My gran knitted, my mum knitted, even my uncle Len knitted. Some of the knitting was done through necessity - to clothe us relatively cheaply - some of the knitting was done for pleasure – my gran had a very bad knitting habit, and was seldom seen without a pair of number nines or sixes in her old arthritic hands.

Gran knitted all the time – jumpers, waistcoats, dresses, socks, baby clothes, dolls, woolly hats, balaclavas, blankets, rugs, even a pair of swimming trunks for my Uncle Bob. A sixpenny knitting pattern, a skein of wool, and some needles was all it took. A new sweater every Christmas, birthday, start of Autumn term, and a new balaclava every winter. How disappointed and lucky I was to have such lovely, lovingly made presents.

I found some old knitting patterns in the cupboard in the dining room last weekend. They were in a carrier bag on the top shelf gathering dust. One of them was definitely a pattern belonging to my Mum; she knitted my Aran jumper in the photograph from the pattern with the boy holding the boat, but I think that Helmets and Caps pattern belonged to my gran. I definitely had a helmet with a pom-pom on the top, and I dimly remember wearing her hand-knitted sleeveless pullovers and tight-buttoned cardigans when I was at infant school.

I don’t remember the horsey polo neck though thank God - I’d have drawn the line at a polo neck, jodhpurs, riding crop, and Brylcreem – quiff or no quiff.

7 comments:

  1. My mother knitted many items of clothing, including , of all things, a bikini! Knitting has become quite fashionable again though it is the rare child who you find wearing a lovely handknitted school cardigan.
    Personally find it rather therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum was a knitting adict as well. I'll have to show you my zippy cardy one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philip Morgan Commented on Facebook:

    What a lovely story and great supporting pic. Brilliant combination of words and picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the helmet and caps one - reminds me of my brothers wearing balaclavers. Mum knitted our school jumpers and cardies but as I got older she often hadn't finished by term time so it had to be shop bought. As you know I love knitting but I have a poor style and limited range but like Michele I really enjoy the effect. My next door neighbour taught me - she used to make stuff for my dolls. I feel my own blog post coming on! Lovely photo AKH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How good did it feel to wear a knitted sweater for the first time? You knew, but never acknowledged it, that it was, as you say, lovingly made. I wore a knitted one to University but then it was cool to.Make believe hippies did things like that.I was too young to be a real one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the feel of wool against my skin and detested that Arran sweater.

    Today I own no sweaters at all - not even lambswool or cashmere, nor man made fibre, none at all.

    Even the thought of wearing wool makes me shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Facebook string:

    Della Jayne Roberts This is a photo of my family on holiday in the New Forest (UK) in the '60's. My Mum, big sister Caroline, big brother Andrew and me looking at my wellington boots (we used to laugh at these old photos - saying I'd probably done a wee in my boots..... lol)
    :O)
    I miss those days.....

    Paula Handley Was Braham:
    You look so much like your mum Della xx


    Della Jayne Roberts:
    I take that as a compliment ... thank you....
    :O)

    ReplyDelete