Wednesday 9 June 2010

Curious...

I came across these cows in a field in Wales. So pastoral, quiet as they chewed the cud, lazily, languidly passing the time of day in a vacuum of serenity. I almost expected to see a bonneted milkmaid wander across the field with her milking stool, and was that a snatch of flowery poem I heard floating across the field? Surely not Robert Louis Stephenson…

'The friendly cow all red and white, I love with all my heart: She gives me cream with all her might, To eat with apple-tart.'

Phew! Now that stinks as bad as any cow pat. Cows are such inquisitive creatures, no sooner do you stand by their wall than across they come one by one to see what you are up to.

‘What are youuuu dooooing? Why are youuuu here?We don’t want youuuu mooooching around our field, youuuu clear off do youuuu hear? Moooove away youuuu.’

Don’t worry – I’m only going to take your picture, now say cheese!

5 comments:

  1. Floramcdora tweeted:

    Lovely pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Treasure Island to Jake at the moment. His books are better than his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cows! And so generous: cream to eat with apple-tart... Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious photo! I love cows and always enjoyed watching them being milked, even liked the warm smell off them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I startled a herd of cows (as is my wont) on a run last year and one of the sods hurdled over a 4ft barbed wire fence. I was impressed. They may seem placid and lazy but they have strength when they need it.

    Not sure if that reads right...

    ReplyDelete