Sunday 6 June 2010

End of day...

It’s been a while since I blogged one of my sunsets, after all how many sunsets can a blog take. But I try to take a few minutes to watch the end of day from the usual viewing place whenever I’m in our bit of Wales – as long as it’s not raining.

It wasn’t raining on Saturday. Saturday was hot and sunny, the evening still warm when the sun went down. Maybe the warm weather contributed to the vivid evening sky or perhaps it was some of that volcanic dust that’s sill floating around up there, whatever caused the lightshow the fuchsia pink and smoky lilac sky looked almost like a bruise spreading across the horizon.

I was sitting in the garden slurping a glass of wine and looking at the shifting, deepening sky when I noticed that light change, the clouds seemed to be lining up in horizontal rows - and then light pillar occurred. Light pillars at sunset aren’t common and don’t last long. The clouds need to be just right so that the rays of the setting sun are refracted up through the clouds vertically to make the pillar.

I watched in for a few minutes and then it was gone as the clouds realigned themselves and the vertical rays of the sun spread sideways.

Show over for another night. More wine please waiter.

4 comments:

  1. Nice picture, I saw pretty much the same sunset from Llandudno. It was a really nice weekend down there. The more time I spend down there, the more I think i don't want to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philip Morgan commented on Facebook:

    "You paint with your pictures and your words and I am always impressed by both. Your sunset bloggs are worth waiting for."

    ReplyDelete