Tuesday 27 April 2010

Birds and Bees

Here’s my first swallow of summer, spotted at the weekend. It took me a while to realise that they were back, but once I did it was almost like they’d never been away.

Now I know that one swallow doesn’t make a summer but there was at least a half dozen or so diving in and out of the barn, starting to patch up last year’s nest, so I think that qualifies.

And then there were the bees. That happy buzz of bees was everywhere. They seemed to be saying ‘Here’s the start of summer, time to start collecting nectar, time to start making honey'. And to confirm their optimism the beekeepers were back, all shapes, all sizes, dressed in white with smoke guns puffing away in the orchard.

I wonder if a first swallow and the buzz of bees will do it.

Maybe the makings of the summer really is here - I wonder how long it will stay?

3 comments:

  1. My daughter and I watched a bee pollinating our strawberry flowers. We should have at least 2 strawberrys this year, if the birds don't get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynne Kirkham tweeted:

    What camera have you got?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently we need to protect the dandelions to protect the bees. Not happy about that.

    ReplyDelete