Wednesday 7 April 2010

Meccano...

There are those amongst us who were brought up holding tiny silver spanners in their hands instead of silver spoons in their mouths. We are the Meccano generation; a generation of small boys who built cars, planes, locomotives, and steam engines from exploded drawings printed in incredibly complicated technical instruction booklets that a seasoned engineer – even one that had built the odd bridge or two – might fail to follow.

Despite this we all managed to build working cranes with winding platforms, suspension bridges with operating cantilevers, and fully working Second World War tanks that fired actual shells which exploded on impact… Didn’t we?

Well, I for one didn’t.

My Grandfather once bought me a huge set of ancient Meccano in an auction for five bob. It was most of what must once have been a Meccano cabinet no.10 set, and the boy that had once owned it had probably gone on to build multi-funnelled passenger ships, streamlined cars that beat the land speed record, maybe even the Doodlebugs that landed on London during the Blitz.

Even without the lid and with one drawer missing, my Meccano set was magnificent with all kinds of intriguing cogs, wheels, bases, pinions, joiners, braces, flywheels and dozen on dozen of tiny brass nuts and bolts that I never seemed to have enough of and always managed to cross-thread with that silly bent silver spanner. Yes, it was every budding engineer’s dream.

Thing was I wasn’t budding engineer inclined and, much to my Grandfather’s disappointment (disgust?), all I ever seemed to make were random Babylonesque towers of Meccano scrap, or surreal half-formed Meccano creatures – part wheel / part horse / part sellotape (I never did have enough of those dammed annoying nuts and bolts).

I did once make a car of a kind. Well, when I say car it had four wheels and a box thing that it might have been possible for a driver to sit in, IF only there had been a seat – oh, and a steering wheel.

Then there was my train, well it looked like a train to me.

“What IS that?” My dad asked me when it was finished.

“I call it ‘Man’s eternal struggle for self fulfilment in an age of sceptical neo-realism’.” Six year old me replied. Actually, I just looked sheepish and mumbled that I didn’t know and that it had just came out that way. I couldn’t bring myself to tell him that it was a train.

And that’s how it has been ever since. I might set out with a complicated set of plans, some cogs and wheels, tiny brass nuts and bolts and all manner of stuff. I might even have a stupid bent silver spanner, but when it comes down to it, whatever I start out to make usually ends up as something different, something that ‘just came out that way’.

And I’m not just talking Meccano.

17 comments:

  1. Floramcdora Tweeted:

    Yes, I had wooden mechano. Dens outside were more interesting at the time tho.

    (Do we allow wooden Meccano?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had plastic Meccano and a little bit of Lego Technic when I was young. Does that count? It's reminded me of some memorable instances of total failure to build anything structurally sound.

    Just been on ebay and there are 5000+ meccano items for sale! Plenty of chances to pick up some pieces for the little one to swallow accidentally...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Great to hear from you Steve. I had you down as a very good Meccano engineer - guess I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read the instructions on how to make the impressive cranes and buggies. Preferred to use my own creativity to make 5-6ft chains of strip pieces that proved very useful for measuring approximately 5-6ft lengths.

    Now I'm eyeing up a 146-piece plastic meccano kit on ebay. £4.99 but I reckon with 3-4 hrs effort and 5-6 angry bartering emails it will come down to £4.75. Maybe £4.65 if I play hardball, but I'm not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Pa was an engineer of sorts. He bought me a Mecano set with a meths powered steam engine. it haad a flywheel to make things work. We built a windmill and it powered that. I said to Pa aren't windmills powered by the wind? He just looked at me and then laughed that donkey laugh of his. Do you remeber his laugh we all used to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have Meccano. I had Lego. You didn't need any skill with Lego, you just needed to understand the concept of putting one thing on top of another.

    I do wonder how my life might have turned out differently had I been forced to master the intricacies of Meccano. I quite enjoy taking my laptop computer apart to install new memory, but if I'd played with Meccano as a child maybe I wouldn't have damaged the airport wireless internet card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Incognito said...

    Just been on ebay and there are 5000+ meccano items for sale! Plenty of chances to pick up some pieces for the little one to swallow accidentally..."


    I am too young to remember Meccano, but I do have a lego story that links to Steve's comment above. When my brother was a toddler, he swallowed a piece of lego. My mum took him to the doctor and the doctor explained to my brother that eventually the lego piece would pass through his system and that my mum would have to be there to examine his stools until it came out.

    He spent the next week bricking it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't bank on it Martin. Mind you I did hear that Steve Jobs made a computer out of Meccano when he was four, he had loads of Mecanno, almost too much.

    He called the computer an Ample Mec.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some great lego sets out there now if you are prepared to look:

    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lego_JFK_Assassination

    More interesting than any cranes or starships...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve (incognito - sorry blew your cover), yes, that is a very interesting lego set. They probably need more gunmenn though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan Spence e-mailed:

    At the age of eight I could strip down a Lugar automatic pistol blindfolded and put it back together again in less than five minutes. Meccano No! Lego No! The preparation and maintenance of modern small arms using only an
    individual's sense of touch Yes! Yes! Yes!
    My father always reminded me 'That you never know what might happen when the fabric of society breaks down, the skills that
    I am instilling in you now should hold you in good stead.'

    Playing with Meccano wasn't in the training manual.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Al, I never realised that you grew up in West Belfast / South Armagh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the secret to success is to pretent that what you end up with is what you meant to make.
    I think you created quite a machine with your spanner and a bucket of spare parts. It's just upsetting when the big boys take it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry - I can't contribute anything to this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Philip Morgan commented on Facebook:

    "I had the very basic kits but never managed to 'construct' anything meaningful or recognisable other than a Turner Prize winning exhibit.....that would only be recognised and acknowledged as such 40 years into the future.
    I loved the flexy plastic yellow panels though although in the early versions theyn were rigid metal."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meccano is still being played with by the generation of people that were gifted the kits as children. We got to know local club members from Feilding, NZ who meet once a month and have all sorts of fun with Meccano still, including mystery box competitions. They were planning to hold their annual convention in Palmerston North and sought our assistance. It was one of those classic conversations over a cuppa that evolved into the concept of bringing the 1950's back to Palmerston North and holding a themed festival, at the centre of which is the toys of the era - Meccano, Scalectrix, Dinky and Hornby trains. We're even planning a bouffant hair do Hoover race around The Square. Hehe... See www.squareaffair.co.nz

    ReplyDelete