Wednesday 25 March 2020

Out of my head....

I guess I started back at my blog at just the wrong time. It's so hard to focus on anything but this bloody virus thing, and I want it to be more than a journal about the end of the worrld. Just why I was so surprised when it hit is beyond my ken (as Kenneth Horne would exclaim - 'who?', you say). No, I shouldn't have been surprised. After all, I've watched the films, read the books, listened to the radio plays. But, (even though I was expecting it or something similar) it still comes as a bit of a shock to see the world unfolding so quickly.

Of course, some people thought I was off my head (no change there and they are not wrong) but I saw it hitting before it was accepted (just another way to say 'I told you so') so I was mentally and physically prepared. Did I have a premonition? I don't know, but I'd been experimenting with tinned food for months for the first time ever. Of course, I wish I'd prepared more (maybe a bunker, a crossbow, some animal gutting skills, more yeast and sugar), but I'm not running around like a headless chicken (sorry, killing animals myself isn't here yet) because I never said that it was just the flu and it's wasn't going to stop me doing what I wanted and needed to do. I knew it would. Well, here we are folks, we've arrived (told you so).

Two years ago I was in Barbados, staying in a treehouse, drinking rum, and watching the monkeys play in the grounds below. It was the first time I've ever seen fireflies by the hundreds (so magical). Barbados is full of pleasant surprises. Now I begin to wonder if I'll ever get back to what I think of as my (yes, my, I'm an arrogant git at times) island in the sunny Caribbean sea (there's a song in there somewhere) - and yes, I wish I was there right now. Well, at least I still have Paris - wait, I don't, will I ever even get to Paris again? I used to pop across for the day sometimes. Will those days ever return?

Well, so I don't have Paris either, but at least I have my memories, and pretty vivid they are too. I guess I'm privileged to have been born at a time where travel was so easy and affordable. I wonder if that will ever be the case again? For now, I'll stick to my garden and travel the world on my laptop and in my head (which I am out of). If I get abroad again that'll be good. If not, it isn't the end of the world - at least I don't think it is - just yet at least.

Anyway, I off to the beach to sit and have a few rums (in my head, I'm almost out of rum).

Keep safe people. Stay in.




No comments:

Post a Comment