Thursday 19 March 2020

Happy corner...

There's a corner in my living room, a corner enclosed and safe, it's in the corner because that's where corners are found. it's not a smart corner, it's where I have my chair (that's not smart either, but wrinkled and comfortable and cluttered - a bit like me) and a place for my wine glass, my computer and my phone charger. it's a happy corner, a corner to feel safe, in full view of the television and next to a cosy radiator. It has a reading light and candles and a little folding table to rest my laptop on or to eat my tea. Sometimes after lunch, I fall asleep there, most times actually, and it's by the window so I can see the big wide world without having to go out into it. I love my happy corner, it's not of this world, it's of my world, and from there I can travel anywhere, look at art galleries, dream, imagine, relax, even take in the air and listen to the birds if I open the window. Watch the sheep as they move along the lane to another field, see a passing rider on a horse - clip-clop - or watch the school bus and the tractors as they go by.

My happy corner, although sometimes Luna claims my chair in happy corner thinking it is hers. It's not but she's a cat and they think they own everything, so I have to move her or let her with sit with me until she gets bored and moves to her happy cardboard fruit box on the floor, close to happy corner, where she sleeps away the day, twitching and snoring, in anticipation of her daily prawns. 

Some days I can hardly wait to park my bum in my happy corner. I get my chores (such as they are) done and plonk down with an old man's grunt and then I am off, listening to old radio plays with my headphones on, watching movies, researching whatever takes my fancy, learning, reading, and generally being happy whilst glugging down wine.

Everyone should have a happy corner to retreat into. So if you don't have one then make one and you'll see what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment