Tuesday 24 September 2013

Why am I still blogging?...

Now that's a good question.

For some reason I found myself flicking through my old blog posts late last night. Well, not exactly flicking and when I say old blog posts I mean posts that I wrote a while back when the world wasn’t quite the same as it is today. Yesterday and beyond then, day after day flashing up on my screen, my thoughts and actions, doodles and jottings back and back like naughty, lovely, deformed, spiteful, nice, happy, spitting children.

I only flicked through a few hundred of the soon to be fourteen hundred posts I’ve managed to drag out of my tortured artistic soul. As a body of work it’s impressive, so long as you don’t linger too long and focus mainly on the sheer volume of words rather than the content.

Of course, my posts these days are shorter, no longer the pocket novellas that they often used to be. It’s a conscious thing – my readers (such as they are) probably aren’t going to read more than a couple of hundred words. Why would they? I try to keep it to 250 words these days, but even at 250 my entire blog contains 350,000 words minimum and I’m often far more garrulous than I plan to be. This post alone is 544 words, so 284 words over my self imposed limit, well over double in fact.

I still only have 58 followers and can’t remember the last time a new one popped up. Still, being read at all is something of a miracle and I guess that with a total of 143,000 page views (over 100 per post) at least somebody is stumbling across it if only to immediately move on after reading a sentence or glancing at a picture.

As I flicked through the contents of my virtual life a number of thoughts popped into my mind: firstly some of the stuff I’d written wasn’t too bad and a few of the photos, drawings, and collaged images that I’d used to help along the words were rather good. Secondly, my life seems to be a cycle and in some ways my blog is a diary; often coming back to the same themes at the same time of year. Oh, what a creature of habit I am. Thirdly, I realised that even though it might not sparkle all of the time, or be read as much as it once was, it’s an interesting window onto my life… if only to me.

I don’t always manage a daily post these days, I couldn’t deal with that particular pressure any longer, and I think that I’m becoming boringly repetitive. For now though, I’ve decided to keep at it and churn out a few thousand more words. All those 350,000 words could have equally arranged themselves into a couple of decent sized novels instead of my blog. But for that I’d need a plot and (if you’ve ever dipped into my world) you’ll know that I’ve lost that.

So they you have it. My regular soul search to decide whether I should continue to blog, or not to blog, yet again decides that I should, that I must; if only to satisfy and feed my own ego.

Yes, it’s still all about me.

18 comments:

  1. Simon Parker on FB
    I think you should keep blogging. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon Parker on FB
    And just cos someone doesn't comment or follow you, doesn't mean they aren't reading...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mick Norman on FB
    I agree. And I think you should try and find that plot you lost, as it would be a darn good read, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Always enjoy your blogs.....so please keep blogging xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shore on FB
    How did you know half way through how many words there would be? Anyway, I think you should give it up and become a lap dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colin Tickle on FB
    What you need to do if you want likes or "followers" is migrate to a Facebook page rather blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Richard Shore on FB
    Or post kittens. Although personally I prefer the stuff about death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrew Height
    Kittens! Now there's a good idea. Why Facebook Colin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 4 minutes ago · Like

    Colin Tickle on FB
    I always read your posts on here. I think they suit the post format, 1 picture and then the text. You also seem to copy a lot of comments from here to there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The maths speaks for itself... My own average is about 36, and my current total is running 100,000 behind yours despite being only a few hundred posts behind and I have been followed by the "Terrific Ten" almost since day one and no more... (although I do think that "following" has become less of a "thing" of late, to be honest...)

    Let's be honest here, you're a hit! A palpable hit! And whilst the rest of us may be Boring For Britain, you've certainly got more reason to pursue this follysome exercise than many of us would appear to have...

    Dammit man, people LIKE what you're doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Martin. thanks for the comment. Coming from someone who writes so well and blogs as passionately as you it means a lot.

      Delete
    2. I think that all of us who do this suffer from occasional bouts of existential angst as to why we do so from time-to-time.

      As you know, when I write, I regularly make Eeyore seem like he ought to be a Holiday Camp Entertainments Manager, and I quite often want to give it all up, but, for whatever reasons, we plod on, presenting our wares to the world for no other very good reason than the fact that we can, but if it entertains a few people, or makes one or two of them take a moment out of their day to pause and think, it's not the most pointless thing that any of us could be doing with our time...

      "Keep on keeping on" say I...

      I know I do (and God alone knows why...)

      Delete
  11. Neil Fishwick on FB
    Andy, you are probably the most creative, imaginative person I know. In so many media too: words, pictures, physical, verbal........I don't believe you will ever stop, nor should you. Respect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Keep blogging, but Facebook is your channel! Now that book..... A book about losing the plot sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    Keep blogging, but Facebook is your channel! Now that book..... A book about losing the plot sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick Jones on FB
    Please, Andy, no full frontals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrew Height
    I want to thank you all. Sometimes i wonder why, but when I ask the question you inspire me to go on. I mean this sincerely and I've had sincerity training. Read my post about camper vans... it's shit.

    ReplyDelete