Saturday 21 September 2013

Last chance for Thame fair...

Saturday morning in Thame and the Autumn People are gathering ready for the final night of the fair.

It's warm, unseasonably warm and there's a strange smell of burning paper in the air. No, not paper something else, a smell I can't quite place. A smell like old churches, gunpowder and cooked cabbage. Not a good smell, not a good smell at all.It drifts across the years and along the high street.

I know he's here somewhere, the Autumn Clown, he won't want to miss the last night.

Look at the others, slack faced and hungry, crumpled beings waiting for the darkness and the deeds to begin.

"Roll up, roll up. It's all the fun of the fair, the greatest show you've ever experienced. Ride on the Ghost Train, dare the Mighty Centrifuge, gallop away on the Carousel Horses. Roll up, roll up. Your last chance to become part of the greatest show on Earth, Heaven and even Hell. Roll Up!"

I don't think I'll roll up this year, I don't want to go to the fair after all. I think I'll lock my door and pray instead.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon Hutt on FB
    I remember that fair too, although from my late teenage years as a good opportunity to get out of Aylesbury for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Did you go on the ghost train Sharon?

      Delete
    2. Sharon Hutt on FB
      Yes indeed!

      Delete