Tuesday 10 September 2013

Sketchy sketch...

Before I went to Wales I wondered if this time I’d actually get around to doing some sketching. It’s always my intention and I usually have a sketch book or two in the boot of my car in order to make my intentions good. This time I took it a little further, buying some new pencils – from H’s to B’s and back again – and a smart bound A5 sketchbook. I was all set, nothing could stop me now.

Of course the strange thing about sketching is that no matter where you are you can’t seem to find quite the right thing to sketch. There’s always something not quite right - the trees, the flatness of the light, the wind, the rain, the sun. Any excuse not to start sketching. After all I know that nine times out of ten I’ll be disappointed with what I draw and will end up throwing the damned thing away. Even the tenth is only kept as evidence that I had a go.

My sketch books start out fat and end up thin, my pencils slowly but surely migrate to that mysterious place that all the pencils go, my patience runs short and my intentions run dry.

Here’s the one I kept.

4 comments:

  1. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
    And splendid it is too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    Thanks Vicky. Too small in a tiny corner of my sketch book to be of significance, but there was something learnt as I scribbled away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve Chambers on FB
    Still got it then.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      I have something Steve. I'm just not sure what

      Delete