Sunday 8 September 2013

The tales I didn't tell...

And so for now I leave Wales behind after a few small adventures which I shall fondly
remember. I haven't recounted them all over the last week or so but there are a few that I'm sure will appear in my blog at some point in the future.

I could have told you about how I queued for over an hour, in good humour and fine camaraderie, at the Castle Fish and Chip Shop in Criccieth and how my fish and chips were well worth the wait.

I might have related how the women in Llithfaen, up the mountain and into the fog, seem to have an unusual amount of facial hair and strongly resemble their husbands in lots of other ways.

There’s a tale to be told about Fort Belan, built in 1775 on the spit of land by Caernarfon airport, and how one day I hope to visit this castellated fortress that was erected to keep marauding American pirates out of our waters.

There’s the lesser spotted woodpecker and the nuthatch that both posed for a photograph at my feeders just as I had placed my camera on the kitchen table indoors.

I could have told you about the cutting of hedges and the placing of our new bird box high in the holly tree and how I managed to place it at the jauntiest angle, although I’m sure the birds won’t mind next spring.

I might even have written about the weasel that ran in front of the car, narrowly escaping death, the walk we took to the last thatched cottage on Anglesey at Church Bay and the long and treacherous reverse I had to make when I met a hay wagon on a narrow and winding Welsh country lane in need of a passing point or two.

Ah Wales! Parting is such sweet sorrow, particularly with the magical mists of autumn about to clothe you anew in its earthy hues and the stunning sunsets that I know are yet to come.

I’ll be back though, I’ll be back.

Be seeing you.

4 comments:

  1. We've just come back from a week in Aberdaron. I've never found it so hard to leave somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aberdaron. Did you drink at the Ship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Bain on FB
      "Drank and ate there."

      Delete
  3. Vicky Sutcliffe commented on FB
    "Makes me Wales-sick.... Need to get our next family trip planned xx"

    ReplyDelete