Thursday 5 September 2013

Cottage garden...

It wasn't a great year for my garden in Wales. the combination of heat and lack of watering really didn't suit and, as I wasn't growing cacti in my outside pots, not many of the seeds I sowed in March came to fruition. Of course some plants might have flowered in our absence, but does a flower not seen really exist at all?

It was always hard enough keeping them alive in hot weather when we were visiting every weekend. So there was no chance this year; as we've only been able to visit monthly and it has been a summer to remember and talk about in years to come. Hot, dry and not at all suitable for absentee gardening. Oh well, you can't have everything.

At least my longiflorum lilies didn't let me down. There they were to greet us when we arrived at the cottage and they bloomed magnificently right up until the day we left. I woke up to find the petals scattered all around their pot like plucked dove's feathers.

It was almost as if they had saved themselves until we would be there to see them, and then decided to leave as we did.

8 comments:

  1. Kieran Goodwin on FB
    We grew some great ones this year, then a scarlet lilly beetle ruined the fucking lot in about 3 days, never knew they existed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Yeah, I hate those buggers. They left us alone this year for once pretty much. but i saw some early in the season and picked them up and crushed them. Very satisfying. There grubs are worse they look like brown shit on the leaves.

      Delete
    2. Kieran Goodwin
      Apparently they cover themselves in their own shit to stop things eating them...nice

      Delete
  2. Maggie Patzuk on FB
    Beautiful! I love lilies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      In the UK they are associated with funerals. Damn the Victorians. Is that the case in the US Maggie Patzuk?

      Delete
    2. Maggie Patzuk LOL!
      Yes! In fact, my maternal grandmother (the Welsh side) refused to have them in her home. Once, someone brought here a bouquet and she threw them out the back door!

      Delete
  3. Kerry Swift on FB
    I had lilies for my wedding flowers, they are just so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil Ogden on FB
    Nice shot - I can almost smell them...

    ReplyDelete