Friday 6 September 2013

Lighthouse for sale...

I’m fascinated by a lot of things – clouds, campervans, cats – and that’s just the c’s. One of my longest lasting fascinations is lighthouses. I find it hard to be within a few miles of one without being drawn to it on a visit. Of course it’s an interest I share with a lot of people; lighthouses seem to be one of those things that capture people’s imaginations. Perhaps it’s the thought of the loneliness of the lighthouse keeper, one man against the sea and the elements and all that.

This year I’ve sought out the lighthouses of Anglesey: South Stack, Penmon, the twin lights of  Llanddwyn Island. I thought I’d done Anglesey, but then, driving down a side road on the way back from lunch at Church Bay, I spied on a ragged headland another lighthouse. It didn’t look as grand as Penmon or South Stack, but it did have cottages and there was a for sale board on the track leading up to it.



Point Lynas lighthouse on the north-east coast of Anglesey in North Wales is privately owned, comes with three cottages and is a snip at 1.3 million! It’s still in use, rented back to Trinity House for a peppercorn rent, so you can’t actually live in the lighthouse itself. Mind you, it does come with it’s own build in torch - the 1,000-watt lamp shines for nine seconds out of every ten, 24 hours a day and it’s beam can be seen for 18 nautical miles, so thick curtains required. The three cottages each have three bedrooms and two are rented - £350 a week in low season and £950 high season, summer and winter. They made a gross profit of £42,000 last year which means that you’d make all of your money back in 30 years. I'm not sure about the fog horn on foggy nights though.

Of course, manned lighthouses are a thing on the past now. There are no manned lighthouses any more, they’re all automated, but a chap can dream can’t he?

That’s it. I’m off to buy a lottery ticket, I fancy myself as a lighthouse keeper.

10 comments:

  1. Sandra Bouguerch on FB
    It's awesome. Xxxx wish i lived in one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      You could rent a cottage for a week Sandra Bouguerch. It's cheap out of season and you could split it three ways.

      Delete
  2. Andrew Height to Vicky Sutcliffe:
    If you fancy a change this is worth a look I think- rent or buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky Sutcliffe on FB
      Fab.... Will take a closer look xx how's you?

      Delete
  3. Tony Payne on FB
    Buy it Andrew. Get a wooly jumper and grow a beard and I'm sure you can knock through a couple of rooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      Bit short Tony. Can you lend me half a million or so?

      Delete
    2. Tony Payne on FB
      Sell one one your properties and let the servant go
      about a minute ago via mobile

      Delete
  4. Liz Shore on FB
    Sounds good. We still haven't decided where to go in February. I might take a closer look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      might sell Park Lane and Mayfair.

      Delete
  5. David Bell on FB
    Do they sell replacement bulbs at B&Q?

    ReplyDelete