Friday 20 September 2013

The Autumn People...

I checked in on Thame on the webcam again late last night. The town was quiet. Well, it was always a sleepy place. I refreshed, the cobbled together camera, built from an old Android handset running some time lapse software and hooked into an office WiFi, refreshes every thirty seconds or so, and there he was, bold as brass, tottering on his spindle legs and holding the marsh light in his hand. Was he daring me to come and talk with him again?

He looked up, as if he were staring directly at me. Down the wire and through the years . Just what did he want of me this time? What did they want? What was left for them to want?

The Autumn Clown... that damned Autumn Clown once more. They always send him in first. It’s his smile I think. That smile could make a rattlesnake slip back under his stone, a vicar turn to the demon drink – and it did, way back then it did. Just seeing him again made what little soul I have left shiver.

The Autumn People are back. It must be their time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment