Monday 5 March 2012

Should I have seen that?...

Everything is going on all around us, in full or partial view, hidden from sight behind doors and curtains, around that next corner, inside that old barn.

Sometimes it's the things we almost don't see that stop us in our tracks and make us ask "should I have seen that?"

The young woman reaching into her blouse, down into her bra, adjusting her breast, then the other, pulling at her pants adjusting them as well. I sit, almost invisible, in my corner. Where is she going I wonder, who she is meeting?

There's kissing at the house across the way, deep and passionate and in the kitchen. Regular kissing with different women, unmarried, man about town, after shave kissing.

Walking home a few evenings ago, cool and lemon blue blended sky, I looked up into the tall tree and saw a single crow. I heard it first - cawing, cawing, and it took me a while to spot him. As soon as I looked it took to the air - then fell, not swooped, fell. Like a stone. Flat wings spread behind, disappearing into some unknown garden so I could almost hear the thump as it's grounded.

Then this morning, off out and about, I passed a coffin laden hearse. Saluting gently as I always do to stop the deceased person's spirit entering my body, I noticed the driver and his mate laughing, laughing fit to burst as they puffed away on their cigarettes. Spittle and smoke as they laughed, and laughed.

See the fool sitting on his window. See how he stares at the open shutter, missing the kissing and drinking and killing inside. Just look as he drops the cards. I wonder who he drops them for?

Across the way, on the roof of a neighbours house, old Father Time with his sickle so sharp blows this way and that, pointing here and pointing there. Pointing at me.
Should I have seen that?

5 comments:

  1. Liz Shore on Facebook:
    Makes me feel like sitting with a coffee in a cafe for a while and just observing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Liz, watching the world is my main occupation these days. I find it easier than being a part of it.

      Delete
  2. Drawforjoy Illustrations likes this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Bell on Facebook:
    Hope he's heading away from you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia Kitt on Facebook:
    no.

    ReplyDelete