Tuesday 13 March 2012

Parrot talk...

Imagine a rainbow swooping down out of the sky - blues, violets, greens, oranges, reds and yellows - a tropical paradise of colour on such a grey day, swooping in like a circus to make the world laugh out loud and God knows we all need that.

My sister posted this picture this morning; imagine this landing on your bird table. What an adventure that would be. Well, at least it would where I live. Where my sister lives though it’s an everyday-run-of-the-mill-nothing-out-of-the-ordinary event. A parrot or two on your bird table… yeah, nothing special, what of it?

I remember the places we used to take a run-out to as children, Bourton-on-the-Water with its Birdland and model village, a tiny stream running through the cream stone town, thatches and beams and spiked hollyhocks. Every Sunday a sun day, windows wound down to let the heat out, red leatherette and egg sandwiches, picnics by the side of the road, bluebell woods, strange old carnivals hidden in the trees, a house of mirrors, damp Welsh caves, chalk and flint hills with trees to climb, Bristol Zoo, London Zoo, Whipsnade Zoo, Woburn Abbey, deep green pools of orange fish as long as my arm and peacocks and parrots.

A parrot on my bird table? Well, no stranger than the rest of my life just now.

I wonder if she’d swap for a sparrow?

8 comments:

  1. Sparrows would be just as much as a rarity these days. Keep the posts coming, I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey Messenger on Facebook:
    i loved going to Bourton-on-the-water, did you go to Burnam Beaches too? and loved going to Windsor castle every year for the st Georges day parade and having a picnic and feeding the ducks and swans are crusts.......and yeah it would be great to see a parrot on my bird table, but i havent got one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we went to Burnham Beeches - I think we all went together once or twice.

      Delete
  3. Catherine Halls-Jukes on Facebook
    spent many a happy hour at Burnham Beeches in my childhood and teen ages years...St Georges day parade I marshalled at for many years , and as for Parrotts, saw one in Bracknell the other week out side my sisters house...when are they coming to Long Eaton?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Della Jayne Roberts on Facebook:
    I would gladly swap for a sparrow (even though the Australians think they're a nuisance)
    These two just flew down onto the washing line and then followed me to the recycling bin (where I happened to have a French stick from feeding a Kookaburra) .. So, they posed for a few videos and some close-ups (one came and pecked at my finger). ♥
    I hope they come to see me again soon ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Della Jayne Roberts on facebook ♥ Burnham Beeches
    Do you remember the golden ball at the top of West Wycombe Hill. Didn't you roll down it once❔♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tricia Kitt on Facebook: used to walk my dog & my small children in Burnham Beeches - only a spit away from our old house then...

    ReplyDelete