Wednesday 28 March 2012

How Earth got its name...


I guess everybody in the country has been snapping Jupiter and Venus over the last few weeks, so I decided that I wouldn’t be any different. Of course I missed them when they were really close together, a combination of cloudy skies and stupidity, but now that we have the crescent moon it remains a sight worth seeing – Venus glowing bright above and Jupiter a tiny spec in the bottom right.

Of course I’ve been watching them as they hang all a glow in the night sky. ‘Planets not stars’ I keep correcting myself and others. Jupiter will be gone soon but Venus is going to hang around for a while I’ve read, and somewhere out there in the eastern evening sky Mars is visible, a bright reddish-orange orb. I’ve not seen it of course, I can’t find my compass to find which way I should be looking and even if I did it would have to be pretty obvious – I’m no astronomer I’m afraid.
Venus, Mars, Jupiter and the rest – the Roman gods of our solar system… and here we are on Earth. I wonder who named the Earth and where the name came from?

Perhaps in the dim and distant past two of our equally dim and distant ancestors got together and perhaps one said “What shall we call this thing we are standing on?” and perhaps the other replied “Errr thingy.” And over the years Errthingy got shortened to Erth and then the French (who very much enjoy their vowels) came along and stuck an ‘a’ in the middle of it to make it a little Frenchier - and voila… Earth!
Yes, that was probably it - the French... I might have guessed it.

6 comments:

  1. Another terre in the fabric of reality...?

    My attempts at taking a photo of this failed, so I cheated and did a quick mock-up in a piece I thought that I might post next week... although I might not have to bother now that you've done this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to it. I was pleased to get anything, my trusty Lumix FZ38 ain't bad for an all purpose point and shoot - I really must try to master the knobs though.

      Delete
  2. Jamie Morden on Facebook:
    Wow...forget Newton, Galileo or Hawkins...String Theory or Supersymmetry...you've uncovered the greatest mystery of all "Err...thingy"...I bow Sir...I bow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie...you put your left arm in, your left arm out. In - out, in - out and you shake it all about you do the relativity and you turn around..... and meet your self coming back. Ohhhhhh the unified theory of relativity.... Ohhhhh, the unified theory of relativity.... Ohhhhhh the unified theory of relativity - Knees bend, arms bend, sub strata hyperspace continuum - Ar Ar Ar+2

      Delete
  3. Richard Shore on Facebook: I hope the daily mail don't find out it was the French

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably have - my phone seems to have been hacked. How much should I claim for?
      about a minute ago · Like

      Delete