Thursday 22 March 2012

Red book…

I came across one of my old red books yesterday, the red books where I kept my notes on and about the flotsam and jetsam of the world I used to live in.

Looking through them at the words and thoughts that are scribbled down, page after page, I wonder these days what it all meant. Who were these people with names that sounded as if Lewis Carroll had invented them just so he could write nonsense verse?

Snalune… I ask you?

Custom video seemed so important back then, a key to the future, a way of surviving in an ever-changing on-line world. Sitting in meeting after meeting, listening to so-called experts talking crap and nonsense about customer journey, value propositions, success criteria... they seemed to talk endlessly without going anywhere.

Looking at that page now it simply looks like a lot of stock phrases made by somebody who really had no clue about how to do anything but make calming noises – new realism, sales and marketing driven, adapt quickly, there-there let me kiss it better.

Looking back, whilst the sentiment of the words seemed right I must have known at the time that the reality was never going to happen. That’s probably why I quoted Amelia Earhart in a note on the page – ‘The best way to do it is to do it.’ Pity that they didn’t.

Still, even doing it couldn’t stop Amelia from disappearing.

5 comments:

  1. Nicola Menzies commented on Facebook.
    "I like it! Arty..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra Bouguerch commented on Facebook: "hey andy do you remember the doodles chris sandbach use to do of me in the 8o's, they were funny...all of me man mad, food and fat! somethings have changed! even going off men!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Kemp on Facebook:
    it might still be valuable Andi - custom video is a hot topic again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky Sutcliffe on Facebook:
    Your red book is more interesting than the ones I keep finding.... The other day I found notes from a colour project meeting! 1998

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony Payne on Facebook:
    So who's wearing the crown on the bottom right?!

    ReplyDelete