Tuesday 23 March 2010

Life in front...

Here I am in the sunshine my whole life in front of me. How blond my hair is, perhaps I’ll grow up to be a Beach Boy – after all I might, anything is possible with your whole life is in front of you. I think the girl is my cousin Linsey. Look at her funny little shoes, old ladies shoes and a smock, standing in the sunshine in a garden overrun with weeds with her whole life in front of her. I remember that garden, it was my Gran’s and at the back there was a beautiful sweet-smelling purple lilac bush. Gran used to pick the lilac, thrust it into a jam jar, and stand it on her kitchen table, the dust spinning in the sunlit air above the bread board.

See that old tricycle, it hasn’t any back tyres, just the rims of the wheels. I won’t go far on that, It's all broken down and finished, at the end of its useful life.

Fifty years ago, frowning in the sunshine on a battered old tricycle that isn’t going anywhere in a garden full of weeds my whole life in front of me.

I wonder what we are looking for. The future?

8 comments:

  1. The one good thing you can say about the future is that it will always come and find you. I use to have a garden full of weeds, and now I have a vegetable patch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute, what happened? ha ha ha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. the futures not planned.. it merely of your making.... and you have the right tools to make it so... could I borrow them sometime ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - Life happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute photo and a great snapshot of childhood. Funny how back then girls wore pretty frocks but always manky shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Gran would have made that dress and probably my shirt too - she used huge stitches - so plenty of ventilation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Della Jayne Roberts commented on Facebook:

    "I can sort of picture Gran .... I never saw any photos of when we were little ..... I remember she had a dog (you should never touch it's ears!) .... we went to the hospital (but we weren't allowed in)?
    "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha Oakes commented on Facebook:

    The dog's name was Duffy,and it would bite my dad every time he got near me, as my dad was in the army the dog did not know who he was, and Duffy was just trying to protect me.

    ReplyDelete