Wednesday 31 March 2010

And here is the shipping forecast...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There is something about the shipping forecast that is fascinating. I must have been listening to it for fifty years or so but I never seem to tire of it, In fact I eagerly await the broadcasts. I usually catch the early morning forecast when I’m off on my travels, suited, pointy shoe booted, Windsor tie knotted, and out into the stormy seas of the big wide work world.

Those seas have been pretty stormy of late and at times I’ve felt tossed and tumbled like a piece of flotsam, but somehow the constant of the shipping forecast makes me forget all that and I’m transported to ‘sea area whatever’ at least for a short time.

It conjures up all sorts of images in my head; old black and white movies, boyhood story books, lighthouses and foghorns, whales and whalers, it’s almost an adventure in itself – no it IS an adventure in itself and all good adventures deserve a soundtrack. So here’s a little sea shanty and to accompany it my illustration of me lost on the (air) waves of the shipping forecast.

BTW - look closely at the illustration and see if you can spot the fish.

The Shipping Forecast

Here is the shipping forecast, the radio says.
From my seat I’m transported to sea.
Riding white tipped waves,
From my armchair ship,
An uncomfortable place to be.

Sea area Viking
Horn helmeted Hun
And Shannon and Fastnet and Malin.
Straight out of a book where whalers kill whales
And cabin boys fall from the rigging.

Sweet Dover and Sole, so good when light fried,
And Portland and Dover and Wightey.
Bailey, Hebrides too
Faeroes up high and true,
And Forties, brow botoxed so tightly.

Up Utsire North, then down Utsire South.
I relish them both when first heard.
Neither much when first read.
But banshees when said,
Ut-seeeeeeeeeeeeera - a scream of a word.

Then Cromarty, Forth,
A black and grey chap, jumps onto the bridge from a train.
Wearing a Fair Isle sweater –
Sorry, I should know better!
Suspended so high in the rain.

It was Fitzroy who founded The Met - I’m astounded!
No forecast if not for he.
As predictor of weather
I doubt he was better
Than seaweed hung up from a tree.

Like the wheels of that train, the names are ingrained
Trafalgar, Dogger and Tyne.
Fisher, German Bight,
Irish Sea, Fair to light.
And Rockall alone on the rime.

Then Humber (a car) and Lundy (la la).
The train rolls on through the night.
To Port smuggled Plymouth
With Brandy and Vermouth
From Bay of Biscay on the right.

Then says the forecaster (I need a sou’wester),
Warns all on the sea as he should -
Northwest four or five,
Severe gales force nine.
And occasionally moderate to good!

Continuing calm, with no note of alarm,
He goes on to say slow and mellow,
“Perhaps gale eight later.”
He’s such an orator,
I applaud, he’s such a fine fellow.

At last all is over as the radio announcer
Concludes the forecast for today.
I sit in my chair
Glad I’m here and not there
As my heart beats a merry mayday.

DotDotDot, DashDashDash, DotDotDot, DashDashDash.
Oh ‘Save Our Souls’ says me
The Shipping Forecast over,
I’m back in safe harbour,
It’s a listener’s life for me.

13 comments:

  1. Truly astounding how you come up with all this stuff, Sir Height. I don't know which I love more, the picture or the poem. I'm glad you got through your blogger's block and are now back on top of your game.

    And yes I can see the fish. Well, one anyway. When you say 'fish', is that plural or singular?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..you've certainly 'Hit the Ball out the Park' with this one! 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. Could you do a real life gallery of it all sometime?
    There's a nice travel book based on the shipping forecast.
    And of course, Blur's best song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike King Commented on Facebook:

    For me it's Sailing By and the 00:40 forecast. Don't need no sleeping pills in this house, it's my favourite time of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book to which "The Explorer" refers is Attention all Shipping by Charlie Connelly. I have read it and indeed have it on audio book. I will send it BMD if you would like to listen on your many car bound journeys.
    The shipping forecast is poetry.The therapy that is Radio4

    ReplyDelete
  6. BMD lent me that book and as yet I have not returned it. I am a bad borrower.

    I agree with you about Radio 4 - I think most of what I know I have learnt from Radio 4. May it be with us always.

    Did you spot the fish? (singular)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that book - I'm sure that you sent it to me a few years ago Michele and then I remember thinking that AKH would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know ; I think you may be right there BMD.

    Weather is fascinating stuff.Last night blizzards raged here in South Lanarkshire. Tonight a sunset and complete stillness. The contrast so great one can hardly believe what has so recently passed. But oh the havoc in the storm's wake.

    Fish spotted.

    BMD_ bad borrower he may be but let him have Stargazing: Memoirs of a young Lighthousekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have caught the movement of the water very well. I can almost smell the salt and feel the gale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radio 4 is so great. I only recently realised this. Whenever I get in the car and drive to work now I always have Radio 4 on. Even if they're talking about something I don't have any interest in, I just love the sound of the voices. It's so relaxing, so familiar, so comforting. It's not just the shipping forecast that is magical - it's Radio 4.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like both the picture and the poem.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will do Michele - I agree,AKH will love it but he'll want to become a lighthouse keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a lighthouse keeper - we all are.

    ReplyDelete