Tuesday 23 February 2010

A stone in Criccieth…

And there it was as though it belonged there. Not big, nor small, but big enough. Alone and one, singular in the snow beneath the tall, dark, trees

I’d read a passing reference to it on a site. ‘The stone stands in a field just outside of the town and is visible from the footpath although it stands on private land. Visitors are not welcomed.’

Private land. It certainly looked private, private and secret despite being visible from the road. I’d seen these things before, many times, and I knew just what it was. I could easily climb the gate and walk across the snowy field towards it, get closer, close enough to touch, close enough to lay my hands on so that I might feel its oneness.

‘Male or female?’ I wondered as I quickly walked away leaving it to its self. It’s hard to tell the sex of these things, even harder to tell the dark ones from the light. I didn’t want to take the risk. Best leave it in the field with the snow and the tall, dark, trees.

Best leave it in its natural state – alone, all alone. Vistors are not welcomed.



2 comments:

  1. Sacha commented on Facebook:

    My acount has stopped working. Great pics there are some stones hnear us. Spooky ain't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan Spence e-mailed:

    Maybe it marks the point of no return.
    But only if you touch it. You know you want to.
    Go on be brave, touch the stone.
    You will see things that will turn your eye's to dust,
    and you will cry for the rest of your days.

    ReplyDelete