Tuesday 16 February 2010

Roundabout stones...

Drive through and out of Caernarfon, out along the Porthmadog road, past Tesco and McDonalds, away from the white stoned castle and you'll come across these.

Standing stones, a large and perfect circle. Solid, upright, real and proud - standing stones. Ley lines and sacrifice, solstice and dawn, druids and mistletoe - standing stones. A wonder to behold... on a roundabout.
.
Yes, these standing stones standing firm on the roundabout on a busy main road are real but not ancient, magical but not mystical. These stones weren't dragged to this place on wooden roller, pulled hand on hand by skin dressed dead hunters, but lifted on JCB by fag-smoking workmen wearing hi-vis and helmets in modern imitation - reverence, homage?

Or maybe just a tourist attraction.

But wait - what's that I feel? Ouch, it hurts a little! Could they be real? I think so, I feel something each time I pass. Still mystical in moonlight, awesome to behold, an echo of a more connected past... and on a ley line. Yes, on a ley line - I know, I feel it calling each and every time I cross.

10 comments:

  1. In years to come, when mountains can be moved by anti-gravity machines, people will wonder at how we moved stones using just hydraulics.
    Either that or we'll blow the world up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In years to come the descendants of the Belindfylli race will believe that these stones were used as an astronmical clock and that when the sun caused the Seth Stone to point towards the Holy Castle that the Belindfylli would land in their silver saucers.

    Of course this will be long after us Earthlings have blown the world up and the Belindfylli have forgotten that they once crashed into the earth as a result of following some stupid sign from a bloody stone circle... but that is the way it goes I guess.

    Eventually you end up waiting for yourself to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! I think that the " Ouija top ten" is one of the most original things i saw on a blog XD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Me case con la lluvia - I took a look at your blog. I too have an iterest in the sound of rain and thunder - I may blog it some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry AKH but they look pathetic and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to sit in the middle of them - I think that they may look different from that perspective.

    There are others - I'll find them and blog them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert Mills commented on Facebook:

    "There is a stone opposite the Eastfield Pub in scarborough - strange place I know. Plus another one on the road decent to Seamer railway station. Most people pass these without a second glance/thought.
    It's amazing what's out there when you open your eyes. "

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of our finest & well maintained modern landscaping, topiary & stonework can be found on traffic islands. They often go unnoticed as we concentrate on the traffic around us. They are inaccessible on foot. What a shame, all that effort & expense going to waste. There is a superb example about 50 yards from your office window AKH. I am looking now at the beautifully manicured island on the A4 in Slough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lloydy - that is a future blog.

    ReplyDelete