Thursday 18 February 2010

Gums, pastilles, Kennedy, cowboys, green ones and questions…

Okay so which did you prefer, Fruit Gums or Pastilles?

Do you like the hard, round, bumpy gums that stick to your teeth when you simply can’t resist the urge to chew, or do you prefer that sugary cushion of soft pastille that squidge in you mouth as you chomp them – and again, how can you resist the urge not to chew?

Six year old me was eating a pastille when news of the assassination of J.F. Kennedy came through on our black and white telly back in 1963. How do I know? Easy, my mum was doing the ironing. She always ate pastilles when she was doing the ironing and she passed me a pastille as the news was announced – a yellow one (she didn’t like yellows).

I’d never admit that to my friends at the time though. No, not the ironing or Kennedy. The pastille thing. Only girls, wets, and Red Indians ate pastilles in our road. Boys (big boys that is) ate fruit gums - just like the cowboys.

I noticed recently that there are more green fruit gums in a packet than any other colour and very few red and black ones. Why is that? Green are my least favourites both in gums and pastilles and I’m sure that there used to be more of my favourite blacks in the past. Is it the price of blackcurrant juice I wonder?

And why do they make fruit gums into silly little fruit shapes when they put them in boxes rather than keeping them round and bumpy? They simply don’t taste the same as miniature fruits and the boxes of pastilles are just pastilles, the same as the ones in the packet - even though they don’t taste quite as good from a box.

And why do I still stand in the shop hesitating on whether I should buy gums or pastilles and usually ending up buying both? Perhaps that’s it! Perhaps that’s why Rowntree make both gums and pastilles and put them in paper wrapped tubes. Maybe they do it to make us indecisive and hesitant, forcing us to buy both so that they can make even more money.

So many sticky questions…

So which is it for you Rowntree’s Fruit Gums or Rowntree’s Fruit Pastilles? Cowboys or Indians? And what were you doing when John Fitzgerald Kennedy was assassinated?

13 comments:

  1. OK so it's pastilles for me and I love the green and the black ones so save any greens you don't want for me.I never buy sweets, seems your mum got you into bad habits.
    I was usually a squaw to my brothers cowboys.
    I was probably dribbling when JFK died as I was only 8 mths old.
    Inspired post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say that the Fruit Gums were too hard and when you tried to chew them they simply got stuck to your teeth - very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruit Pastilles all the way for me. Fruit Gums are too hard for my teeth and tend to stick like Toffee.
    Definately a Cowboy (especially when it comes to DIY - the wife will confirm that).
    JFK - way too young for that. Although the film was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastilles for me too I'm afraid...and I was 3 when Kennedy was shot so not a vivid memory....but did you know that John Peel (influential Radio 1 DJ) was in the underground parking lot and witnessed the subsequent shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby?....he was a fresh-faced reporter at the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was younger- gums for their more intense flavour.
    Now I am older- Pastilles because they are not so likely to remove a filling.
    Polos or Trebors? Penguins or Clubs? Ice Pops or Jubblies? .........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda Kemp commented on Facebook:

    "always used to like gums better, but really preferred Spangles to suck - whatever happened to them?
    (Now I'm too worried about my teeth to have anything but an occasional Glacier Mint)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Various people commented in a Facebook string:

    Debbie Arden:
    fruit gums defo!

    Sue Mcnally:
    i agree gums

    Emma Cholmondely:
    defo fruit gums!!

    Michelle Haendl:
    no way, pastilles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spangles had another name originally didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me - Fruit Pastiles

    Mum (visiting) - Fruit Pastiles

    I'm too young for JFK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caron Rebours commented on Facebook:

    "Fruit Gums they stick to your teeth and last for ages....."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Spangles were always Spangles - do you remember the single packet flavours: Acid Drop, Barley Sugar, Blackcurrant, Liquorice, Peppermint, Spearmine, Tangerine and Olde English ones that tasted like Humbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a difficult choice. Pastilles I think, or is it gums?

    By the way, I think that pastilles in boxes also come in fruit shapes these days.

    ReplyDelete