Wednesday 24 June 2009

Post-Box Blues...

So I woke up this morning (da-da-da-dah). Sorry, this is not a blues, I have no idea where that came from.

I’ll try again. So I woke up this morning (da-da-da-dah – STOP!) with visions of post-boxes in my head, plans for everyone. It’s in the white of my eyes - STOP! Sorry - this must be making no sense at all - that was Bowie, China Girl!

What's going on here?

Again… ah-one, ah-two, ah-one, two, three, four! So I woke up this morning (da-da-da-dah – STOP I SAY! - visions of post-boxes in my head, plans for everyone – STOP, STOP, STOP).

Post boxes? Yes, post-boxes. Oh, I see, that Bloody Blog is talking to me again.

So one more time, and from the top - ah-one, ah-two, ah-one, two, three, four…

Blogging has made me look at things differently. After years of not really noticing things I have suddenly begun to notice so much… and there is so much to notice. There are so many things to be interested in; things that we pass every day without really seeing them.

When was the last time you noticed your local post-box? (da-da-da-dah) Have you ever really noticed it at all? (da-da-da-dah) I’za bettin that you ain’t (da-da-da-dah) N’ they are all the same anyways ain’t they? (da-da-da-dah). Nope, them’s all different (da-da-da-dah). Position, n’size, n’shape. (da-da-da-dah). Even colour (da-da-da-dah), I’m a’telling you (da-da-da-dah), says I’m a’telling (da-da-da-dah) each postey-boxey (da-da-da-dah) STOP! STOP! STOP!

Better.

Each post – box has the monarch they were placed for initialised on their body. Maybe a GR, or an ERII, perhaps even a VR, and definitely a number – they all have a number. Say baby what’s that on the post-box where you post your Christmas, an them purdy Birthday, cards? Course I is assumin that you pay your bills online (da-da-da-dah) and that y’all social networking (da-da-da-dah) an bloggin’ (da-da-da-dah) an e-mailin’ - rather than doin’ that writin’ them letter thing (da-da-da-dah) an of course sweet honey (da-da-da-dah) I is a’sumin that you ain’t (bum, bum) succumbed (bum, bum) - to the awful e-card thing (da-da-da-dah-dahhhh)…

STOP…this is NOT a blues! This is a blog!

Hear this Blog – get a grip on yourself!

Anyway, this is the first of an occasional series on those interesting objects that are on our roads and streets but which none of us notice. There WILL be post-boxes, but there will also be other things. I don’t know what they will be yet – I’m yet to find them – but I know that they ARE out there waiting and that they are worth writing about.

Here’s the first ‘right under your nose’ object. Of course when I say ‘your’ nose I mean ‘my’ or ‘our’ or ‘someone’s’, I mean it inclusively so as to be politically correct… yes, even you!

ONE: The post-box at Holwell: post-box № DT9 4 (da-da-da-dah).

This post-box, dating from the 1850’s, at Barnes Cross, Holwell, Bishop's Caundle, Dorset, is reckoned to be the oldest post-box in Britain still in service. Just imagine the letters that have been posted from this box, the events that have resided temporarily in the dark interior of the collection box - the Boer War, Victoria’s Jubilee, the sinking of the Titanic, both World Wars… letters to soldiers, from evacuated children, lovers, blackmailers, sad and happy, bills and wills, love and poison. History, emotion, utility.

The next time you’re passing go take a look at this magnificent slice of history, send me a post card, and please stick a Penny Black to it – just to make it look authentic!

I FEEL GOOD! (do-da-da-da-da-do-do - I knew that I would, now!) This is the start of a whole new chapter…

Thanks blog – you’ve opened my eyes (again), but please can you just drop the blues, it’s driving me nuts (da-da-da-dah).

Okay, I’ll take that as a no then.

2 comments:

  1. I admit to inserting the Bowie lyrics, but not the Blues. The Blues were nothing to do with me. I think he may be losing his mind. Perhaps he needs to take a break from blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you start noticing stuff as you start blogging - amkes you more alert and appreciative of what's around you

    ReplyDelete