Thursday 4 June 2009

Head in the clouds...



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
Remember the Guinness ad? The one with the surfers, waves, and white horses? Tick, followed tock, followed tick, followed tock, followed tick?
.
It's a classic, one of the most memorable TV ads I've ever seen. So clever, so well done.
.
I spend a lot of time looking at the waves and sometimes I catch a glimpse of things in them.
.
Once, on an enforced 'team building' sailing trip on the North Sea, late at night - so late it was actually early morning - I saw people waving at me in the waves... lots of people. I hadn't been drinking, we weren't allowed alcohol on board, but I was tired, very tired, and it was late - or perhaps it was the up - down - up - down movement of the yacht on the sea - it was pretty rough.
.
Whatever it was, it was very real - those drowned souls waving at me from beyond the boat. There were others on the watch; wide eyed with wakefulness, steel wired to the deck, dressed in layer on layer topped with waterproof... and still cold to the bone. I didn't mention the wavers, I though they might think me mad.
.
Perhaps I was for a while, I was certainly hallucinating, or waking dreaming.
.
I wasn't dreaming when I saw this cloud horse though, there it was galloping towards me through the sky. For a moment I could almost hear the hooves, smell that piss-strong horse smell in the air.
.
I wonder where it was running to? Down into the sea maybe?
.
Down into the sea to become a white horse in the waves?
.
Watch the ad - you'll see what I mean.
.
Click for Guinness White Horses link

6 comments:

  1. wow, I can see that horse now that you say it!
    Sorry about the boat trip thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see it. I can see something that looks a bit like a tap dancing hippo.
    I think the boy going down hill on bike Hovis ad is my favorate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look closer - I'll show you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have absolutely no memory of the Guinness ad. You guys watch way too much television.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and drink too much Guiness!

    ReplyDelete