Friday 11 March 2016

Eggs, chips and beans...

So in a week where George Martin died, my mother in law was mowed down in a hit and run invalid carriage incident and is now in hospital with a broken hip, and I slipped into my penultimate year before hitting sixty there would seem to be plenty to write about, so why am I asking you to join me in thinking about sausage rolls?

Well, not just sausage rolls; sausage rolls, chips and beans to be exact. This was the food I was brought up on although today it would never occur to me to bring together this trio of delicacies and serve it for a meal. Other great childhood teas included the wonderful egg, chips and beans alongside sausage, chips and beans, the Saturday lunchtime pie, chips and beans, scrummy fish fingers, chips and beans and of course the very special burger, chips and beans. It seemed it was all chips and beans back then, which was good because it meant I was at least getting two of my (yet to come) five a day.

I’m sure that we ate other things, including those dreaded Sunday roasts, but my abiding memory is of things cooked with chips and beans. One of my favourites was rissoles, chips and beans, although I haven’t seen a rissole for years. We also regularly had battered spam, chips and beans (a hangover from the war years I expect) and fish cakes, chips and beans. Of course I didn’t mind. Well why would I want green vegetables (Sunday fare) when there were beans to be had?

This was long before cooking programmes were the norm on TV. Spaghetti bolognaise, curry and chili were not even a rumour in my house and Fanny Craddock used ingredients – like garlic and black pepper – which were not easily come by anyway. Ready meals simply did not exist unless you counted powdered Vesta curries and beans and sausages in a can. Even the humble pizza, now a staple in so many homes, wasn’t available in our High Street.

It really was a different world. It was a world of beans and chips and where that dirty foreign muck was scorned. Of course today isn’t so very different despite having just about every ingredient on earth to hand at the supermarket all year around. Pizza seems to have become the new chips and beans, and burgers now come fast in buns and on the run rather with chips and beans on a plate. We are all preached healthy eating, but most of the time most people don’t, preferring to snack and graze rather than sit down to a meal.

Thinking about it I think there’s a lot to be said for egg, chips and beans. I quite fancy it for my tea.

1 comment:

  1. Anne Donaldson
    Oh now you've got me craving for a good old fashioned rissoles and chips, I think the EU put the kybosh on that one though

    Andrew Height
    What was in them? They were scrummy.

    Anne Donaldson
    it was pork and cereal all mushed up and coated in egg and breadcrumb I loved them

    Vicky Sutcliffe
    Me!!

    Andrew Height
    One egg or two.

    Vicky Sutcliffe
    Always 2!

    Steph Rogers
    Luvly grub!!!

    Andrew Height
    Yes, the best!

    Gloria Brown
    Loved rissoles and egg, chips n beans!!
    Steph Rogers your lovely mum used to serve us corned beef fritters and beans xx

    Steph Rogers
    Oh yes bless her! She would have done, nobody has this food now do they? Just told crap about how bad it is for you! Xx

    Andrew Height
    I'm going to make rissoles next week.

    Andrew Height
    With a lettuce leaf of course!

    Gloria Brown
    We will be round, I will bring the wine!!

    Andrew Height
    Well, you are the expert Gloria.

    Gloria Brown
    Am I ??

    Andrew Height
    Well yopu seem to know your wines.

    Annette Jones
    Egg chips and beans and bread and butter! Everything seemed to be done with chips? Only one egg couldn't afford two! and chips always cooked in lard, and suppers were sardines on toast,and oxo sprinkled in hot water in a cup and bread to dip!

    Andrew Height
    Lard... luxury!

    Denise Smart
    proper chips though!! xx

    Andrew Height
    Now we have a debate Denise. Proper chip, an interesting concept.

    Denise Smart
    Got to have proper chips cooked in a proper chip pan!! x

    Andrew Height
    chips made with my Ronco pull down handle chipmaker then deep fried in a saucepan and fetched out with a spoon. I spit on oven chips.

    Laura Keegan
    Does this mean I can give my kids something chips and beans every night? How easy would life be!

    Andrew Height
    Laura, give them anything made with love. Not broccoli though, never broccoli xx

    Laura Keegan
    I hate broccoli! Anything but broccoli

    Laura Keegan
    There's always love. Sometimes a hint of judgemental expectation

    Andrew Height
    Try it in a cheese sauce or batter it and deep fry. Trust me both are great.

    Laura Keegan

    Laura Keegan
    Laura Keegan Will do!

    Andrew Height
    Nice in a beef and black bean stir fry too. But never boiled on a cold plate brughhhhhh.

    Laura Keegan
    Ergh no I always put broccoli on my plate when I do a roast but recently realised I can't touch it. Funny that

    David Bell
    Yep

    ReplyDelete