Sunday 8 December 2013

17 sleeps to go - The magpie thief...

Most certainly everything that glitters is not gold. How well I have learnt that lesson over the years. But like the magpie that stole the Christmas tinsel I have to say that I’m attracted to the shine of the cheap and tawdry. Call me a fool if you wish, but I’m a fool looking for gold where no gold could ever exist.

The Christmas tinsel always held a fascination for me. Of course the tinsel back then was not the lush and extravagant stuff it is today. I have memories of silver tinsel so sharp it could slice your finger and other stuff that seemed to fall apart as soon as you picked it up leaving behind only a silver string and hundreds of flutters of tinfoil on the lino. 

Of course this was the sixties and there wasn’t much shine in the world. Trees would be draped in as much tinsel as could be afforded as using the tree lights could be dangerous. The bulbs were huge and became very hot after a while. They always reminded me of multi-coloured pointed gnomes hats. Mind you, some of the tinsel we used was probably from the 50’s when tinsel was made from lead foil which probably partly explains my difficulties thinking sensibly.

Anyway, that Christmas magpie.

One Christmas Eve I ‘borrowed’ a piece of tinsel from the tree and took it out to the garden to play at being a shooting star. It was a sunny day and the light caught the tinsel as I flew up and down the back garden path making whooshing noises and ducking and diving. One minute the tinsel was streaming above my head like a meteorite’s tail behind me and the next, with a yank, it was gone. I looked up to see my precious tinsel streamer disappearing into a tree held tightly in the beak of a magpie.

I watched as the bird examined its treasure whilst sitting on a branch. Then it picked it up in its beak once more and off it flew like a black and white comet with it’s gleaming, glittering, silver tail flowing out behind it.

I never saw that tinsel again. As for the magpie, well there were almost as many of them back then as there are today. The image of that bird has stuck in my mind all these years and I can’t look at a piece of tinsel without going back to that day and remembering the magpie thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment