Tuesday 10 December 2013

15 sleeps to go - Snow...

They say it’s going to snow. Yes, it won't be long before we’ll all be there with snow. Mind you, they always say that. Each year we are all set for the coldest winter on record. Each year we are warned that the snow will start falling bringing with it chaos to the roads, the closure of schools, and a lovely picturesque view from out of our windows just as long as we stay indoors. But then what is Christmas with no snow? No white Christmas with no snow.

Snow.

There’s something magical in waking up to find a deep, crisp, even blanket of white outside your front door and along the road. What fun it is to be the first to leave footprints, throw a snowball, or go down to the meadow and build a man that’s made of snow. I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow and see a great big man entirely made of snow. I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow.

Snow.

Fortunately, around here the local council are in tune with the whole snowy experience and make no attempt to clear it away. Often our road is covered in snow and slippery as ice (which it is) for days after the snow has fallen. I just love that skiddy, skatey, feeling as you edge cautiously along trying to avoid sliding into the parked cars which litter each side of the road and those glistening houses that seem to be built of snow

Snow.

Yes, snow is great until it turns to slush.

Snow.

So, in the words of Sammy Cahn: ‘Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!’

2 comments:

  1. Facebook
    Ian Maclachlan
    Doesn't feel so at the moment. Barbecue temperature yesterday evening. I yearn for winter.


    Michael Snow
    and here I am!


    Lorna Gleadell
    Who is " they " ?


    Fraser Stewart
    Thanks to everyone for voting for my film. It's through to the short-list stage. So here's hoping.


    Vicky Sutcliffe
    let it snow ... let it snow... let it snow

    Tim Preston
    I say it'll soon be bed time all snuggled and warm


    Tricia Kitt
    On its way where?


    Lindsey Messenger
    Really...I thought 'they' said it was staying mild !! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia Kitt
    Shameless, Mr H! (Yes, I read the damn blog!)


    Andrew Height
    I write the blog after I've posted a comment Trish. I call it a challenge, Thanks for reading


    Tricia Kitt
    Always a pleasure - an indulgence these days, only barely less resistible than chocolate..
    What's with you just now - shop still going?


    Andrew Height
    Yes, among other things. This semi-retired business is knackering, just closed my Christmas order book as I'll struggle to fulfill what I already have. Oh, I wish it could be Christmas every day.

    ReplyDelete