Monday 16 December 2013

9 sleeps to go - It's virtually Christmas...

It’s virtually Christmas and I mean that quite literally. Things have moved on in the world of present buying, it seems that Father Christmas may soon be on the ‘at risk’ list. No Christmas card for him maybe; just his cards.

Every year my wife would buy me the latest Stephen King. She’d go to the bookshop, wrap it up, place it carefully under the tree and it would sit there waiting patiently for Christmas morning to arrive. I always knew what it was long before I opened it. Well a book looks like a book and feels like a book doesn’t it?

Perhaps not these days.

A couple of years ago I moved from paper to Kindle. It’s great. I can have any book when I want it, sometimes for a fraction of the cost I’d have paid for paper, and it’s so easy and portable.  This year my wife asked if there was a book I wanted for Christmas. Well, obviously there was; there’s always a book that I want, so she said that she’d get it and I said that there was no need. I’d download it to my Kindle on Christmas morning – simples!

“So what do I wrap?” She asked.

Good question. The best that I could come up with was that she downloaded it for me and then… well, then nothing really.

Yes, all this interwebbing has made Christmas almost a present free zone. No more records or CD’s, no more books or vouchers. It's all downloads, online gift vouchers, presents ordered online and delivered to your door pre-wrapped and gift tagged… I begin to wonder what’s next. Of course the upside is the convenience - and we must be saving hundreds of forests in wrapping paper. But somehow losing the anticipation of opening that parcel under the tree is just that – a loss.

With 3D printers on the up I really do wonder what is next - print your own virtual socks maybe?

3 comments:

  1. How do you wrap an e-book?

    Liz Shore Lol, I'm actually considering printing off front covers and wrapping them! I'm sure that defeats some object of something, somewhere!


    Phil Ogden Eee buy gum! (Yorkshire dialect).


    Zee Taylor With love!

    You already started just by the simple fact that you thought of sending someone a gift....See More


    Colin Tickle In ePaper printed with digital ink?


    Sharon Hutt Print off covers or order confirmations or design a presentation certificate and put in a nice card. Thats what I do with etickets.


    Fraser Stewart …with great difficulty.


    Lynda Henderson with Wrap -E- Paper.


    Paul Whitehouse With virtual wrapping paper


    Gary Thorley Eee carefully


    Fraser Stewart My head hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what was your best Christmas present ever?

    Kevin Burke Oral sex of my first girlfriend... waited months!

    Andrew Height Bad boy Kevin.

    Alan Shorrock A Johnny Seven... and no it wasn't a party pack of contraceptives

    Sandra Bouguerch chopper! red and angrey looking...

    Andrew Height I hope you mean a bike Sandra Bouguerch

    Neville Mclachlan When I got my dog Champ when I was a boy. Best present ever.....

    David Bell Scalextric - it took up most of the front room

    Andy Brewer Johnny Seven

    Paul Whitehouse Carol Vordermann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kingsley Roberts on FB
    Nor mine!

    ReplyDelete