Tuesday 17 December 2013

8 sleeps to go... A letter to Father Christmas...

Have you written to Santa yet?

Every year she’d write a letter and we’d watch it fly up the chimney carried by the heat of the fire. One time it fell back down and I found it in the hearth the next morning, slightly singed but still intact. Lucky that it didn’t start a fire I guess. The writing of letters to Santa didn’t last long, a few years at most. By the time you learn to write it’s almost time to stop believing. Such a pity we can’t go on believing forever.

I remember writing my own letters to Santa. They weren’t very demanding; I wasn’t a very demanding kind of boy. Mainly it was a few toys – a train set, some Mecano, that sort of thing, things that any boy would want. Anything other than the boring socks my father’s mother bought me each year. These days I’m happy to get socks but back then… well, what could be more uninteresting to a six year old boy?

The first year that I could write, I wrote to Santa asking him to bring me a play garage. The one with the winding handle so that you could move toy cars from one floor to the next, the one with the ‘real’ petrol pumps outside and a forecourt. It even had a car showroom with opening doors so that you could get the cars in and out. It was made from wood and paper covered, which would scuff at the edges with use until it started to peel away. I could hardly wait to get my garage. It was just the place to keep my Corgi and Dinky cars.

As I disappointingly remember I didn’t get my garage that year. Instead Father Christmas delivered a dark-grey metal Grundig reel-to-reel tape recorder. Very nice for some (my father), but not much fun for a barely five year old boy. You could hardly store you toy cars in a tape recorder and it didn’t even have a winding handle. After an hour of talking to myself, then playing it back I was bored. I wasn’t allowed to touch the buttons, so it wasn’t much fun at all. It was then that I thought of paint.

What fun I hade taping paper to the spinning spool mechanism then dropping paint onto it. It swirled everywhere, on and off the paper; it covered the recorder, me, our old green settee. What fun I had being an early Damien Hirst as I watched my action paintings take shape before my eyes. Of course when my father caught me he wasn’t best pleased and flew into one of his rages.

After a good slapping ‘my’ tape recorder was taken away; after all, I wasn’t ‘grown up’ enough to be trusted with it.

I almost didn’t write to Father Christmas the following year. But - worried that he would forget me - asked for my Shell garage again and this time I got it. There’s a moral in here somewhere but I’m not quite sure what it is. Perhaps it’s that being naughty always pays off in the long run or maybe it’s that some others, even your family, will always put their own needs and desires before your own and they are really not to be trusted.

By the time I was nine I’d given up writing to Father Christmas.

10 comments:

  1. Maggie Patzuk
    Oh Anders! Your stories are always so (bitter)sweet! I just want to hug you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height Cloe Fyne final para.
      13 hours ago · Like · 1

      Andrew Height
      All hugs gratefully accepted. As for bitter sweet; all I can do is write down my memories as I remember them. I'm sure that someone out there has a different take and rationale on this episode. For me though, I really can't understand why a five year old child would be given a reel to reel tape recorder as a Christmas present. I wonder about it a lot, but would never ask (even if I could) for fear of the whole episode being denied.

      Delete
    2. Maggie Patzuk on FB
      Oh Anders! Your stories are always so (bitter)sweet! I just want to hug you!

      Delete
    3. Andrew Height
      All hugs gratefully accepted. As for bitter sweet; all I can do is write down my memories as I remember them. I'm sure that someone out there has a different take and rationale on this episode. For me though, I really can't understand why a five year old child would be given a reel to reel tape recorder as a Christmas present. I wonder about it a lot, but would never ask (even if I could) for fear of the whole episode being denied.

      Delete
    4. Maggie Patzuk
      Anders, I always look forward to your musings! They make me feel a little less alone as I too had a turbulent childhood. I remember it filled with fear and desperation . . . fear of always walking on eggshells as some innocent comment or action would set off my mother . . . and desperation of trying and trying but never being able to do anything worthy of her love - and being constantly told so.

      Delete
  2. Fraser Stewart
    Always look on the bright side of life….only20 days until my boy's back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    Cloe Fyne final para.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloe Fyne
      Apparently there's a uk blog awards! Get yourself entered

      Delete
  4. Have you written to Santa yet?

    Linda Kemp ages ago!

    Kingsley Roberts Yes, where's my f#cking bike!! No reply yet

    Tim Preston yeah Hate mail!

    Fraser Stewart Ho! Ho! No!

    Jeanette Jefferson-Brown He doesn't listen!!

    Mel Mackuin Yes many years ago - do I need to write every year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey Messenger on FB
    Yes...sent recorded delivery so he should get it this year!!! xx

    ReplyDelete