Tuesday 17 August 2010

Time wasting…

I can’t sit still for long on a beach. I try but it doesn’t work. I sit quietly for a few minutes and then I’m up and looking for something to do. Doing nothing feels like wasted time.

Sometimes though something finds me and stops me wasting my time, or causes me to, dependent on your viewpoint. It can be anything, this time it was pebbles. They just seemed to roll towards me and drop into my hand and before I knew what I was doing I’d started arranging them. A long line of quartz lined pebbles soon stretched along the beach, then a face popped up out of the sand.

Oh well, beach time is for wasting – it’s just a question of how you go about wasting it.

I wonder what his name is.

11 comments:

  1. I think his name should be Steve, mainly because Notts Forest (I think) used to have a player called Steve Stone.

    Which beach did you find those grey stones with the quartz in? Those are Alisons faves, she loves collecting those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line of stones seems a bit obsessive to me. If you put your change on a table to you have to stack it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, that's me labelled an obsessive then. That line of stones would have had to be in colour order had I thought of it. As for stacking coins... Always, largest coins at the bottom, smallest at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea... I should have done that in my front garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do stack coins - but I stack the smallest at the bottom and the largest at the top, I then balance the whole stack on a very round pebble I keep on the dresser. I find it pleasing.

    My front garden is raked gravel, with a raised border of acers and bamboo. I have balanced stones and lines of pebbles to break up the severity of the arrangement.

    I am beginning to wonder if I am developing OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glynne - I'll collect you a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil Ogden commented on Facebook:

    The face in the sand, eh?? Looks like 'Mr Potato Head' has morphed in to 'Mr Pebble Head'...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fact that you lined up the stones but distressed by the wobbly bit at the start

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it wobbly? Next time I WILL try harder ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tricia Kitt commented on Facebook:

    "wasting time is an art requiring long study - or too long twittering!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trish,

    Twitter is the window of the soul.

    ReplyDelete