Sunday 8 August 2010

Sunflowers and Ladydids…

.

.

.

.

.

..

.

.

.

.

.

.

I have my first sunflower, not huge at four feet or so and the leaves are a bit battered by the wind, but a wonderful ‘happy day’ yellow and bright enough to draw the thunder-flies.

August, and everything is heavy with life. I love and hate this time of year. The garden in full bloom, but at the same time just on the edge of toppling into finished. And how I hate finished with all that brownness and going over. I’ve never managed to love the garden past mid-July - and the insects!

I spray them but it seems to do no good. Something has taken my white aquilegia to skeletal and eaten the foliage of my sunburst dahlia; the leaves are full of holes. I was happy to see a Ladydid, a six-spotter, carefully wending her way along the front wall, but they seem few and far between this year, such a pity that you can’t say the same for the greenfly and Lilly bugs.

September’s on its way, you can see it in the yellowing courgette leaves, it’s still a sunny day or two away, but I begin to feel it, it’ll soon be here, and then will be the autumn.

For now though, I still have more sunflowers to come - and the odd Ladydid to wend her way along my cream dashed summer wall.

3 comments:

  1. I have the same feeling about august. I love it so much, and happiness begin to mix with sadness. August will soon be over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting sad about my garden going over - they'll be nothing left of the colour soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got a seven footer this year! Our best ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete