Tuesday 24 August 2010

My bargain seeds...

Wandering around my garden in Wales at the weekend I decided that I’d take ten minutes and shoot a few pictures before it was too late – things are really moving towards 'over' very fast now.

I’m proud of my pot of Longiflorum, despite the Lilly Bugs getting to the leaves early in the season. How I love to squash their little red bodies between my finger and thumb, their filthy larvae do such horrible damage and make such a gooey mess. Look closely at the leaves at the bottom of the flowers, all nibbled by their nuisance – and see the tiny fly in the right hand bloom. This picture is just how it came, no adjustments - the white of the flowers in the sunshine against dark green-black privet. I’m pleased with it, good shadows, nice contrast, it looks almost painted.

I grow flowers from seeds in the main, buying the packets cheaply this time of year from Wilkinson in end-of-season sale mode. I bought £34 of seeds for £1.40 at the weekend – 10p a packet, fourteen packets in all. Here are some of the flowers I grew from seeds and corms with my Wilco bargains bought last year (and a couple grown from craftily taken cuttings when nobody was watching).

Next years garden for £1.40 - a bargain!

Nasturtium - Tigridia – Livingstone Daisies

African Daisy – FuschiaBuddleia

Sunflower – Scabious – Begonia

9 comments:

  1. that's some green fingers you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers Andrew. I am going to visit Wilkinsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always did have green fingers tank. Remenmeber the stuff we grew in the old greenhouse at the back school house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I remember it Sacha YOU grew the stuff all I did was to tell you how to plant it and keep it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow they're fab AKH. I'm going to search out those seed bargains this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil Morgan commented on Facebook:

    Superb pics Andy. If only Wilcos had been around when the good Lord crated the Earth he could have done it for a lot less money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul Eddison commented on Facebook:

    I'm not sure about the headline "My bargain Seed'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are all gorgeous. What do you called the last red flower in the pictures? It is really awesome and it is a very sexy flower with its reddish color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love all of your flowers! They really make my day looking at them. All of your photos are awesome because of your gorgeous flowers. Fabulous green finger!

    ReplyDelete