Wednesday 11 August 2010

How to build a giraffe…

Another beach, another pile of wash-up. This time wooden fencing posts, plenty of them. Fantastic, with all that wood I might be able to build my giraffe at long last. Every time I hit a beach with the ‘mood’ upon me I know that I’m going to build a giraffe - tall and spindly, high in the air, balanced and beautiful, a giraffe for the very Dali himself to be proud of.

I had the wood, now all I needed were some other materials – maybe some polythene sheeting, a few plastic bottles, a largish quantity of string or rope, something ‘head shaped’ for the head. They needed to be light, I wanted this giraffe to be at least ten feet tall, and heavier materials were going to be – well, too heavy. So, polythene, bottles, string, lightweight stuff - the sort of stuff that any self-respecting beach in our part of Wales is always bedecked with.

I walked the beach – plenty of wood, great, more wood, fantastic, seaweed, mmmm, more wood, okay, more seaweed, ahhh, a short length of frayed orange twine…

I walked the beach for a while clutching my piece of orange twine. Where was the polythene sheeting, the plastic bottles, the string, where was that ‘head shaped’ something for the head? All I could see stretching in front of me was a beach littered with fencing posts and draped with seaweed. How was I going to make my giraffe with only these limited materials at hand? This was going to be a real challenge.

An hour or so later I happened across this funny creature, he’s a woolly mammoth, a small one admittedly, but a woolly mammoth nonetheless.

And my giraffe? Well, maybe next time.

9 comments:

  1. I prefer the idea of the woolly mammoth to a giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the eye made from? He seems to see right into you. Wise and a little cheeky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Large bottle top and a piece of black plastic - and yes... he is watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul Eddison commented on Facebook.

    "this is cool Andy"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colin Tickle commented on Facebook.

    "Amazing"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie Morden commented on Facebook.

    "Your creativity knows no bounds Sir!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I await you giraffe with entusiasta and a lighted match.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is it that just when you want loads of litter it never appears?

    ReplyDelete