Wednesday 4 August 2010

Sparrows…


I saw a flock of sparrows up on the headland playing in the barley and the gorse. Whenever I see sparrows a line from a poem springs into mind, a line from a poem I always thought I was going to write but never have and probably never will.

When I was a boy we had a jasmine bush attached to brown and broken trellis outside our front door, the one below the porch I learnt to fly from. The sparrows would play there filling the foliage with their chatter and flurry. It seemed to me that they were fighting, for all I know they were.

One day as I watched and listened to them play or fight, whichever it was, this popped into my head:

Sparrows fighting in the jasmine.

And there it has stayed ever since, the first line of a poem that I’ll probably never write.

1 comment:

  1. "Sparrows fighting in the jasmine"...Don't think you need to write any more of the poem...those 5 words are enough to conjure up the imagery, the sound and of course, the smell of Jasmine. I wonder if anyone else has ever put those 5 words together? Anyway, I can see it...no more words needed!

    ReplyDelete