Sunday 20 September 2009

Seasons end...

Almost the end of the growing season and as always I’ve pretty much given up with my plants. I hate it when they get all straggly and past it, they start out so full of hope and end tired and flabby. So I usually just leave them for the frost. I always promise to have a good tidy up before the winter comes but I usually never get around to it.

Gaynor pulled the last of her carrots this weekend, she grew them in a garden bag she got half-price in the sale from Wilkies – they did pretty well. I harvested my chilli crop from the single plant I bought from Aldi, and ‘ouch!’ they are hot. I think we have enough chillis to make about a five hundred con carnes - we’ll have to dry them.

Back in the spring I planted some lettuce, you may remember that I planted some in pots and some more in trays. The pots are long eaten and the lettuce in the trays bolted back in early August. As is my habit I just left them to bolt merrily away.

This weekend I tidied up a little (and I mean a little) and in one of the trays found these pretty blue flowers growing. It gave me quite a surprise I didn’t remember planting any flowers in with the lettuces. Looking at the foliage, what little was left by the slugs, I realised what they were…

Lettuce flowers - I didn’t know that lettuce had flowers, and if I had known I wouldn’t have expected them to be blue, yellow maybe, but not lavender blue.

Lettuce has flowers - you learn something new every day in this wonderful life.

1 comment:

  1. wow that's amazing - I remember lettuces (or were they carrots?) bolting as a child and the flowers were yellow.

    ReplyDelete